Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil comparison, 9mm vs. 40sw

CC3D

I just wanted to post an observation I made recently after making the switch to .40sw from 9mm in limited. I was curious about this concept before making the switch my self so I thought I'd share.

The felt recoil out of a 9mm polymer frame gun vs .40 out of a heavier steel frame gun is not as different as I imagined it would be. To be fair, the comparison was made with factory 9mm (which we chronod to be about 138 PF) and reloaded .40 (which chronod at about 173), so your reloaded 9mm is probably going to be a bit softer in comparison. The recoil impulse is by no means the same, but overall the felt recoil of is pretty similar with the heavy (3+ pound) gun. If you have good recoil control already the .40 is nbd. This is my subjective experience and I'm sure others haven a different opinion, I'm curious what others have to say about it. If this has been beat to death already I apologize. 

• 3 months later...
On 11/2/2021 at 2:07 PM, CC3D said:

I just wanted to post an observation I made recently after making the switch to .40sw from 9mm in limited. I was curious about this concept before making the switch my self so I thought I'd share.

The felt recoil out of a 9mm polymer frame gun vs .40 out of a heavier steel frame gun is not as different as I imagined it would be. To be fair, the comparison was made with factory 9mm (which we chronod to be about 138 PF) and reloaded .40 (which chronod at about 173), so your reloaded 9mm is probably going to be a bit softer in comparison. The recoil impulse is by no means the same, but overall the felt recoil of is pretty similar with the heavy (3+ pound) gun. If you have good recoil control already the .40 is nbd. This is my subjective experience and I'm sure others haven a different opinion, I'm curious what others have to say about it. If this has been beat to death already I apologize. 

you probably have already confirmed you observation by now. Yes, with heavier gun comes with less felt recoil. However, I do want to point out that felt recoil is not the same thing as sight disturbance. I found 40 does have more sight disturbance than 9 hence, it may took longer to line up a second precise shot. This drawback however can be compensated by using better tuned gun or just better gun in general. Grip angles, grip textures, using grip enhancer or not all will impact your ability to control added recoil from 40 cal. I personally use 200 gr project tile, i found it has the least felt recoil on hand. 

Thanks for the reply! You are absolutely correct. My initial concern before making the jump from minor to major in limited would be that the recoil would be too much of a difference and detract from my enjoyment. I'm not small, but not the largest guy either. The joke about limited shooters is always bigger dudes shooting the .40 so I was worried I might not be able to hack it. But the difference between 9 and .40 recoil was not as significant as I anticipated, not as difficult to manage as I thought. Hope that makes sense, was just trying to leave an observation for those who may have the same question in the future. 

As for your point, yes the recoil is very different. Certainly more sight disturbance and I cannot run my .40 as "flat" as my 9mm, but that being said I don't think my splits have slowed down all that much. In my personal experience, despite having more sight disturbance, my return to zero is much better with my TSO than it ever was with my glock. That may be strange but I think it has to due with the tuning I was able to do with recoil springs etc. with my TSO vs my glock which I never got around to doing. 

I've heard it thrown around that making a gun run perfectly flat is less important than having your sights return to the same spot. I agree with this to an extent so long as you've already established good recoil control. I've found that to be true with my .40 in my personal experience. Regardless, I agree with your point, those are just my two cents. 

• 1 month later...