Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

primer punch bent in 1100 with Mk7 drive

The small primer punch on my 1100 was slightly bent out of vertical during operation. The press is run with a MK drive. (Which I have to run with a 6 on the clutch to make sure my .40 cases will be resized.)

I think what happened is before the punch fully retracted to the down position the slide was retracted rearwards, jamming the punch inside the slide aperture where the primer goes.

In other words, the punch must have been bent because it remained in the up position as the primer bar was pulled backwards. 

When I disassembled press I found the primer slide to indeed be jammed in place by the primer punch which  was in the up the up position with the remains of a crushed primer inside the slide.

The press will work sort of, but the punch now rubs against the side of the slide, so its another jam waiting to happen.

Any thoughts on how to prevent this? Or what caused this? Something is likely not quite aligned, but what? All thoughts welcome.

Wish Dillon would improve the finicky primer system.....

I've ordered two new primer punches.

Sounds like going to a 2 pass method of reloading is what you need. 
Then you can decap and resize in the first pass without the primer assembly or powder measure on the press. If you lube your brass you may be able to lower the torque setting, or maybe not, 40 can be tough to resize. 

Then, when loading on the 2nd pass you should definitely be able to lower the torque way down as the brass will already be sized and you should be able to cruise along smoothly.