Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taccom 3-Stage Air Buffer

Didn't Trubl post about this some dags ago?

But I can't find the thread now.

I think this concept is very interesting...

For a moving object (in this case the bolt) to slow down as softly as possible, an exponential braking force is the way to go. (The force increases as it nears the end of the stroke)

It subjects the bolt to a lower maximum G force, and in my book that should translate to lower recoil if everything is correctly dimensioned. 

I've been experimenting with opposing magnets to achieve this (together with a hydro buffer).

But I think an air buffer has the potential to work even better...

So at least in theory this should work better than a hydraulic buffer,

Since they work the other way around, giving the maximum braking force when the speed is at it's highest (at the beginning of the  compression)

If the difference really is noticeable remains to be seen...

But my interest is piqued. 

If you are on FB and in the PCC Raceguns group I posted a few videos there.  Can't post here as they are too big.  

My overall impressions:  I was faster on the Bill Drill with the Air Buffer than than the 3-Stage.  Is that conclusive, no, but it felt faster and smoother with the new system.  Recoil felt marginally less, but recoil is relative to the shooter and the ammo.  I did test some factory ammo that runs at 132pf and it felt fine with either system.  My normal load of approximately 115pf (steel challenge) felt good and seemed like there was less dot bounce.  I even tested an experimental load that is probably closer to 100pf and it was like night and day.  

I did not take the weight out of the bolt, don't have to, but you can.  And the weight of this new system in 1.2oz lighter than the 3-Stage.  If you are running an AR-V like I am, the LRBHO still works with this system.  It does take a bit more muscle on the charging handle to get the bolt past the bolt stop to manually lock it open. 

I have not taken it to a competition yet for a real world test, but I'm certain it will perform splendedly.

Edited by bigdawgbeav