Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Build An Sv Race Gun?

If you've read my other topic you already know that I'm thinking of getting out of kart racing and maybe building another gun. What are your thoughts on this? I currently have a doublestack SVI .40 Limited gun that is totally awesome. If I focus all my energy on shooting should I just stick with this one gun and use it for everything or should I spend $4100 and have a race gun built? Would I be better off just shooting the one gun until I get as good as I possibly can and then buy the race gun or should I shoot both? I have mixed thoughts on each idea.

If I buy the race gun then I may be good at shooting both where if I shoot just the limited gun I could potentially be great at that. Or, by shooting both it would help get better quicker in both guns???

What are your thoughts?

Pete

No need to spend close to $4100 for a race gun. You can buy a hardly used one for half that. Shooting both will teach you a lot because they are a lot different. Shoot what you enjoy :) If you have both it can be a good diversion when you get burned out on one.

Open can teach you a lot. As Loves2Shoot said you can get a used open gun for a lot less, many times less than 2K (there were a couple on here for right at 2K). You could also get a dot mounted and run it on your limited gun for a while for training if you are concerned about the expense (the dot is the biggest advantage of open).

I built a single stack race gun a few years back and it's a blast to shoot. However, having only a 10 round cap. it is quite useless in IPSC competition. Good idea about buying a used race gun. Only problem is that I can only buy an SV because of the state I live in.

Pete

I built a single stack race gun a few years back and it's a blast to shoot. However, having only a 10 round cap. it is quite useless in IPSC competition. Good idea about buying a used race gun. Only problem is that I can only buy an SV because of the state I live in.

Pete

If you built your single stack in 38/9mm you could always just get a SV frame fitted, that would be very reasonable.

That might be tougher than it is worth.

And the comp might not be as efficient as the newer comps so by the time you get all the puzting around done you saved $500 on a slide and barrel.

Post a Want in the classifieds. Seems like lots of Open blasters come up for sale about this time of the year as folks start looking to build the latest and greatest for next season.