Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load With N310 & 200gn Xtp

Diezel

• 2 weeks later...

I had trouble with N310 and 230 g jacketed bullets in my .45.

I had a load of 4.6 g and it went about 750 ft/s, but with its variation it was comfortably Major. Soft shooting, pretty large velocity variation, and dirty, but reliable.

Then I softened the taper on my mouth belling tool, and the load became downright psychotic. Small powder charge changes produced large changes in behaviour and odd velocity distributions:

4.6 grains gave 720 ft/sec, and was really sooty. Most were lower than 720, and one out of ten would be around 780 ft/sec;

4.7 grains gave 820 ft/sec and the cases were clean! Most were higher than 820 and one or two would be down around 730 ft/sec.

It seems that the bullet pull was lowered by the reduced taper, and most of the time, the powder was not getting lit with the lighter charge. The smallest amount heavier charge would usually get lit. My barrel is a touch "loose" too, with both lands and grooves on the large end of the acceptable size range. I set that jug of powder into the back of the cabinet and try it with new loads now and then.

It seems that VihtaVouri knew what they were doing when they initially skipped this powder in certain calibers and bullets.

I had a load of 4.6 g and it went about 750 ft/s, but with its variation it was comfortably Major. Soft shooting, pretty large velocity variation, and dirty, but reliable.

Strange. 4.2 grains with 230gr. FMJ gets about that velocity for me and it's very consistent, usually 9 SD or less and clean as a whistle. I could probably get it even more consistent if I settled on one brass vendor instead of range scraps. What little soot remains wipes off with a dry paper towel.

Strange. 4.2 grains with 230gr. FMJ gets about that velocity for me and it's very consistent, usually 9 SD or less and clean as a whistle. I could probably get it even more consistent if I settled on one brass vendor instead of range scraps. What little soot remains wipes off with a dry paper towel.

My experience mirrors this. It is the cleanest softest load I have found with good accuracy at 25 yds. The only thing that I didnt like is that Fed lg pistol primers gave 20fps less than Win lg pistol primers. Go figure, and it isnt the powder's fault.

• 3 years later...
Hi

Im about to start loading for my 45.

I bought a can of VV N310 and Hornady 200gn XTP bullets. Primers are Federal Large Pistol.

In the VV loading manual I dont find any load for this kind of bullet, only for a LSWC.

I would like to know the min & max charge and the OAL. Any tips?

You can download the latest VV load data in .pdf format from their web site. Vihtavouri Load Data

My first loads for my new RockRiver WadCutter were 200gr LaserCast LSWCs(.452) @ the recommended lowest load 3.7gr of N310 .472 TC 1.25 OAL, StarLine, CCI300. What a display of flames & smoke (almost scary) and a few failures to go completely into battery, soft recoil accuracy at 25 yards was 1.5". Took last 25 rounds home to increase the crimp to .470 just before it starts to roll, wow what a difference; brass come out clean, no smoke, no flame, groups one hole @ 25yds, still had a few FTGIB I couldn't detect a change in recoil. Next 25 decreased OAL to .124 bingo not FTGIB. Checked with barrel out and cleaned letting gravity do the work, seats perfectly, should have done this first, the learning process has many signposts eventually we learn to read them. I just got my new chrony and haven't gotten to check velocity. Should know by next weekend.

I notice a lot of guys using Bullseye powder are cleaning their chambers between relays. They all complain about it being dirty.

This is a very fast burning powder so pressure builds quickly. As such it requires care when loading. Double charges can be a disaster. In spite of this it meters very accurately(10 charges are always 37 grains exactly), burns very cleanly(most likely because it burns completely before leaving the barrel) and leaves the brass relatively clean (most likely because pressure increases quickly, sealing the chamber.)

Its easy to see why this powder is winning over converts.

3.8 VV310 230gr Precision Moly 1.240 .472 crimp avg 169PF - 172 for 4 cylinder test

4.0 VV310 230gr Precision Delta 1.260 .472 crimp avg 164PF - 169 for 4 cylinder test

OAL difference because seating stem touches ogive not nose.

• 3 weeks later...

I looked up some old load work from mid 2005 with my S&W1911DK and here's what I found, might be useful.

Bullet: Hunter's Supply 200 gr. RNFP

Powder: Alliant Bullseye 4.9 grs.

Primer: Federal 150

Case: PMC

LOAL: 1.188

Avg. Velocity: 847 fps.

Bullet: Hunter's Supply 200 gr. RNFP

Powder: VihtaVuori N310 4.45 grs.

Case: PMC

LOAL: 1.188

Avg. Velocity: 841 fps.

Bullet: Montana Gold 185 gr. JHP

Powder: VihtaVuori N310 4.45 grs.

Case: Winchester

LOAL: 1.230

Used a 17 lbs recoil spring for all.

I've pretty much switched to WST now, N310 is just too expensive and hard to find.

Bullet: H&G #68 200 gr. SWC (Oregon Trail)

Powder: Winchester WST 4.5grs.

Primer: Winchester Large Pistol

Case: CCI

LOAL: 1.245

Recoil Spring: 16 lbs

Velocity: 822 fps (CCI cases)