Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When to make the minor to major switch

CC3D

13 hours ago, Intheshaw1 said:

Hey, if the price is right the price is right. I was really close to buying a TSO this past year and opted for a dot instead but I'd I came across one at a price too good to pass up I'd pick one up.

Thats where my head was at. Barely used (guy claimed <500 rounds, looking over the gun I believe it), with mag extensions, brass scales grips, and milled for a slide racker. 1200 was the winning bid, I think I did okay! 

19 minutes ago, CC3D said:

Thats where my head was at. Barely used (guy claimed <500 rounds, looking over the gun I believe it), with mag extensions, brass scales grips, and milled for a slide racker. 1200 was the winning bid, I think I did okay! 

That's pretty good. There were some that sat on the classifieds here for a while that were tempting but I had just changed to a dot and wanted to commit for an entire season.

• 3 months later...

Coming back to this thread with an update. I've shot a few matches in limited major now, the first was shot slow and steady while still getting used to the new gun w/ light trigger and heavier recoil. After training up a bit I had my best overall finish yet at 85% of our local PCC GM. When shooting minor I floated around the 70% mark pretty consistently. 

I do not want to 100% attribute my progress to making the switch to major pf, as I have had some "ah-ha" moments since then and have been training more seriously/ consistently. What I will say is that I do NOT regret making the switch when I did. 

My answer to my own question for those who may be asking it in the future: When you feel like you have committed to this sport in a meaningful way and desire to start pushing the performance, go for it, switch to major. It's a big monetary commitment for a race gun, and if you're shooting limited, a race gun in .40 is a very niche item that might not get much use outside of USPSA. With that in mind the decision should be made once you're fully committed. This is probably a pretty obvious take and I think it echos what others have said in this thread, but just my two cents. 

If you're shooting a division that allows major and you're personally committed to the sport/ division, that's when you should make the switch to major from your stock gun you cant into the game with. 

Good choice. I shot TSO in 40 cal when I just started shooting in Limited division. In my opinion, shooting major is very different compared to shooting minor in limited. The sight picture requirements are significantly different, major also allows you to make easy trade-offs when it comes to high risk targets. Overall, major offers more options in strategic planning, opens up more opportunities for shooting on the move and shooting sooner. The downside is obvious, more recoil and less mag capacity. With a good gun the first one is almost negligible, but the lowered capacity will certainly impact how you approach the stages (e.g, a 24 round stage or a 22 round stage with high number of steels).

2 hours ago, Dr_Z said:

Good choice. I shot TSO in 40 cal when I just started shooting in Limited division. In my opinion, shooting major is very different compared to shooting minor in limited. The sight picture requirements are significantly different, major also allows you to make easy trade-offs when it comes to high risk targets. Overall, major offers more options in strategic planning, opens up more opportunities for shooting on the move and shooting sooner. The downside is obvious, more recoil and less mag capacity. With a good gun the first one is almost negligible, but the lowered capacity will certainly impact how you approach the stages (e.g, a 24 round stage or a 22 round stage with high number of steels).

Yes I think you're absolutely right. One thing I've noticed too is being much more comfortable taking more difficult shots on the move. You can certainly afford to throw an extra Charlie or 2 with major, and I've been incorporating movement into my stage plans much more. Of course this can and should be done with minor, but the .40 is a lot more confidence inspiring when doing so. Major opens up a lot of doors for sure, glad I made the switch. 

• 1 month later...