Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Couple Of ? In Case Of Upgrade From Sd

Currently I'm loading 357 and 44 on a SD and have a 550 doing nothing (sold my 308),

so I've been thinking about moving one or the other to the 550 to be done with changing calibers, or selling both and upgrade to a 650. I'm not really loading large quantities, so there's no real justification for that other than more comfort when loading and less (hopefully no) pain in my wrist (with a roller handle).

The nice thing about the SD is, that you can have 1 dieset and 2 toolheads for 38sp and 357mag. So I have toolhead adjusted for a 148gr HBWC - which I load in a 357 case - and one for the 158gr FP.

First question: Could I, whether it's on my 550 or on a 650, manage with one toolhead and dieset when using a Redding comp seater die and would the adjustment range be large enough for the 2 mentioned types of bullets (using the same seating stem)?

2nd question: Is the quality of ammo loaded on a SD equal to a 550 or 650? The description of the 1050 states that it produces "match grade" ammo, does that mean that the rest is less grade? Don't get me wrong, I never thought of my SD produced ammo being inferior, I'm just looking for reasons to justify an upgrade.

TIA

DEP44

The SDB makes great ammo.

I am in the process of switching over to my new XL650

( bought from Brian , excellent service ! ) and am kicking myself in the butt for not having done this sooner.

Travis F.

When I got into shooting lots of pistol, I bought a (used) SDB. I made lots of great ammo on it.

I then got a 650 as part of a gun deal. It allowed me to make more than twice as much ammo in the same amount of time.

I like the auto-indexing presses, especially for loads that could hold a double charge.

I ahve been very happy with the 650. I was able to sell my SDB for about what I about what I bought it for.

• 10 months later...

It finally happened!!!

Ran into a used 650 last week. 1,5yrs old and not more than 2500 rounds behind it. Came with strong mount, bullet tray and powder check. It was set up for 45, but the guy had also everything for 357, so he decided to sell the 45 parts seperately. Got the press mounted and adjusted today and loaded my first 100 rounds on it... in 6 minutes! Managed to get it running in little time without even needing the manual. The only thing I have to get used to, is the priming system. It looks like it takes 6 strokes before I can turn on the case feeder. Then its 2 strokes to get the first case primed. Had a little hassle at the end of my 100 round batch too because cases kept coming. Figured out afterwards to remove the case tube as soon as I feel an empty primer disc when trying to seat the primer. And that you can remove the case from that station because the locater is spring operated.

I made my bench 104" high, and I figured I never needed a strong mount that way. Being 6'7", the strong mount is a big improvement when it comes to ergonomics. Want one now too for the 550, which I'm keeping for .44 and .308 (and occasionally .45LC). Never saw any purpose for a powder check either, but it feels nice knowing it sits there doing its job when you're on a roll. All I need now is the roller handle.

I'm a happy camper. Every now and then I have an urge to go upstairs and stare at it in the door opening of my reloading room. Like a child in a candy store. My own candy store.