Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blade Tech Holster

kevin c

The National Stats in the TJ show that Blade Tech Holsters were the clear leader (though Comp Tac and Ready Tac weren't that far behind).

So, since I need a new holster, which model was this? Was there one in particular that avoids the dreaded "daylight" problem? Or were these modified by the wearer to close up the gap?

How about the Comp Tac and Ready Tac models?

TIA,

Kevin C.

I have the Blade-Tech Belt Holster for a HK USP Expert and a Comp-tac Belt Holster for my 1911. Both are excellent holsters, very similar in many respects. I did have to heat the belt loops on the Blade-tech holster and mold them around my belt to eliminate daylight. Also, the Comp-tac holsters have a curve in the belt loops that more naturally follow the curve of your waist. This curve also reduces daylight in the loops as you cannot see directly through both loops with the holster on a belt. Comp-tac will also fill your order in 7-10 days while Blade-tech advertises 6 weeks. I waited close to 10 weeks for my USP holster from Blade-tech. Blade-tech does offer holsters for more models of guns, which is why I ordered my USP Expert holster from them. I am happy with both, but I would give the nod to Comp-tec. I have no experience with the Ready Tac.

Hi Kevin, I use the Comp-Tac locking paddle. Comp-Tac was fast with my order (under one week). They also made my holster to fit my exact belt. I told them that I was wearing a Wilderness Instructors CSM and they made it to minimize the light in the channel. Fast and custom service, they are high on my list. Can't speak to the other vendor's products.

Rick

I'm actually in the process of doing an article for Gun World on kydex holsters for competition and concealment. Of every holster I've seen, the Blade-Tech Standard Belt Holster and Comp-Tac Speed Belt Holster are clearly the best, and the only two rigs I'd actually wear. I use the Blade-Tech myself, for concealment, IDPA SSP and USPSA Production, but that's because it's what I have been wearing for years. The Comp-Tac is fully as nice. They're both fast AND concealable.

Kevin - I've got one of Comp-Tac's non-locking paddles for my CZ-75B and I don't have a problem with either daylight or the 3/4" rule - at least, not that I can see. ;) It's the only paddle holster I've found that works as a concealment holster. I haven't tried the locking paddle.