Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 grips with a "ledge"

jmac2112

Pertinent info: I have "almost large" hands (e.g. large gloves are generally a little too big on me, but medium are too small).  

I've tried a number of grips on my Shadow 2, and right now I'm using the LOK palm swell grips.  They're the right size for my hands, and I really like them for the most part, but one thing about them bugs me.  As my grip technique has evolved, I've started using a "nutcracker" grip in which I squeeze the edges of my palms together slightly and my support hand palm is locked in place along the back edge of the grip panel.  I have started to think it would be great if I had some grips that were essentially flat on the sides, but with a sort of angled "ledge" on the back to allow maximum contact in that area.  The problem I have with the palm swells is that they curve inward at the bottom, making it harder to keep my palm in contact.  

These two grips look promising and are offered in different thicknesses:

https://usa-shop.armanov.com/products/pistol-grips-maxxxgrip-technology-cz-shadow-2-sp01

https://www.m-arms.eu/products/monarch-1-long/

Does anyone have any experience with these grips or with any others that might be suitable?

Thanks!

John

I have large palms relative to the length of my fingers.

I shot about 10k using Lok Palm Swells, and generally like them. But I also wanted something a little less cylindrical and coke-bottle shaped.  Someone on here sold me a pair of SSI Scales 2.0 cheap to try and I really look to them. Now all my full size CZs have them.  They're wide through your bottom three fingers for lots of grip area, but narrow around your trigger finger for reach.

Thanks, belus!  I've looked at the Scales before, and they do seem to have the approximate shape I'm looking for.  The thing that has always put me off from trying them is the "open" design, since it reduces the contact area.  Do you find that to be a problem, or is there something about the design that makes up for that?

7 hours ago, jmac2112 said:

The thing that has always put me off from trying them is the "open" design, since it reduces the contact area.  Do you find that to be a problem, or is there something about the design that makes up for that?

I switched to them from Loks while shooting in hot and humid Houston. The Loks weren't bad by any means, but I wanted something with a flat side. I find Scales give really excellent grip, but it is counter intuitive. The open pockets are really big and that lets the flesh of your hand flow into them which feels really secure to me. When I finish a stage I can see the waffle clearly in my hands. Before the 2.0 update they were apparently a little slipperier and some people would epoxy grit to them, but now there are small raised numbs that that are supposed to provide the same effect.

When you lightly brush against them they don't scrape you, nor do they catch and hold onto fabric. If they weren't cut all the way through I'd want them for carry as well, but as it is I don't want lint getting inside the gun.