Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case rim gouging issue.

On 6/15/2021 at 7:53 AM, HesedTech said:

Swaging in 1050/1100.

I’ve had similar problems to many, inconsistent primer depth, damaged brass, etc…. The solution is simple, but defeats the single pass process. 

Brass bases, can significantly differ in thickness. Setting the swage punch/holdown to a single head stamp will cause slight differences where the press ram stops, depending on the stamp. I also went to the TNT shell plate for 9mm and 223. They are a bit more robust and have less play in the slots. 

I also use two pass processing, the first is to simply decap, swage and size the brass. 

HT:

Did you find that swapping over to the TNT shell plate required going back and resetting dies, swage system, any primer hold down, etc?

Thanks!

9 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

HT:

Did you find that swapping over to the TNT shell plate required going back and resetting dies, swage system, any primer hold down, etc?

Thanks!

I know it’s not the answer you are looking for, but whenever I swap shell plates and or calibers I always verify everything. However, I believe the answer to you question is with an already setup head I have found the only minor change is the bullet seating and taper crimp dies. Sorry I can’t remember changing much else.

Something I always check for every loading run, regardless if I didn’t change a thing, is the powder drop. Just to make sure. 

Also 9mm brass bases vary a lot in thickness between head stamps and more so than 223. The one thing I believe many fail to setup properly is the Swage hold down. Essentially the brass can’t move up as the swage punch presses into the pocket and it, the punch, can’t be set so high it bends it. If the Swage station fails to smooth out the crimp enough there will be issues with seating the primer.

Hope this helps.

Edited by HesedTech

19 hours ago, HesedTech said:

I know it’s not the answer you are looking for, but whenever I swap shell plates and or calibers I always verify everything. However, I believe the answer to you question is with an already setup head I have found the only minor change is the bullet seating and taper crimp dies. Sorry I can’t remember changing much else.

Something I always check for every loading run, regardless if I didn’t change a thing, is the powder drop. Just to make sure. 

Also 9mm brass bases vary a lot in thickness between head stamps and more so than 223. The one thing I believe many fail to setup properly is the Swage hold down. Essentially the brass can’t move up as the swage punch presses into the pocket and it, the punch, can’t be set so high it bends it. If the Swage station fails to smooth out the crimp enough there will be issues with seating the primer.

Hope this helps.

HT:

Yes, I was referring to an "already setup head"..........you knew!  ;)  

TBH, I was guessing that along with checking/verifying the seat and crimp die, I'd need to recheck the swaging station and MBF powder funnel expansion.  And like you and many others here, I always warm up the FX120i prior to a session; and do a few powder drops including a 10 drop average.  :)

I am very meticulous when setting up all stations; especially the swage station.  Right now I have the luxury of loading all Winchester, once fired, fully processed (w/roll sized) brass and feel fortunate that my process is running so smoothly.  But I also recognize there is some inherent "flex" in the stock Dillon shell plate.........

Your info ALWAYS helps!  Thank you!

👍