Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9x19 Major Powder Poll

toddrod

RPD,

I would be very appreciative if you would share your load specs on the Silhouette. In particular for the Montana Gold Bullets in all three weights.

Thanks in advance Craig

As you know this is no "rocket science", but mostly fine tuning your loads with your trusty chrono for specific barrel length, etc.

I usually try to load as long as possible. Very often with some of the high volume powders you don't have a choice but to load long. With Silhouette, because of its low volume to weight ratio, you could load "short-er" if you needed to. Especially if you are stuck with a "small" frame magazine, such as in Glocks, etc. Since I mostly shoot 1911's and don't have length constrictions (other than throat leade) I load around 1.17"+ to 1.200"-. I have made the same loads with no discernible high pressure signs in OAL's of 1.12" - 1.15" which should work in the smaller mags. Yes, including bullets to 124 grs., but never those "147 grainers".

That said, start your loads around 8 grains and go up gradually, and chrono. I have made loads up to 10 grains for use in a "ported shortie barrel" without any extreme signs showing. Use caution with longer barrels. I also use WSR primers. You will like the consistent results of Silhouette, a little more so than HS-6 (IMHO)

My present favorite load is 8.3 gr. of Silhouette with 121 gr. M. Gold Intl. profile bullets at 1.1750" OAL with a medium crimp, using Winchester Small Rifle primers on Remington Peters or Winchester NT once fired brass (which I get from Midway). My barrel length is 6" but is a part of the "Hyper Comp" system which ports the barrel within a comp sleeve. Of course, I do disavow any responsibility for any use of this information. ;)B)

Edited by Radical Precision Designs

• 3 weeks later...

"""""My present favorite load is 8.3 gr. of Silhouette with 121 gr. M. Gold Intl. profile bullets at 1.1750" OAL with a medium crimp, using Winchester Small Rifle primers on Remington Peters or Winchester NT once fired brass (which I get from Midway). My barrel length is 6" but is a part of the "Hyper Comp" system which ports the barrel within a comp sleeve. Of course, I do disavow any responsibility for any use of this information."""""

i use right around 9.0 grains and a 121 in my super comp...at this kind of pressure the powder burns pretty clean....back off any and you get the cornmeal...

I get 174 power factor with this load. Federal 200 primers are getting flat ...in the 9mm major the 205 feds would be a better choice.

Im gonna get some 3N38 for my 9mm to try...in a 5inch gun w/o holes in the barrel, it should shoot plenty soft.

• 10 months later...

I have a good supply of SP2 so that's what I'm using.

I can get it up to 177 pf before seeing any pressure signs without an extended firing pin. It shoots great out of my Dawson Mini at 167-168 pf but it is a little on the dirty side.