Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Follower stuck in mag

mpolans

Need help. I was trying to see how many rounds I could stuff in a RIA mag with a ParaOrdnance base pad and trimmed follower. In doing so, the follower got stuck in the bottom of the mag. the spring is compressed solid, so I can’t get the basepad off. I’ve tried banging it on the workbench, and hooking a dental pick under the follower to try to pull it up...no luck. 

Anyone have any suggestions, preferably without destroying anything?

Here’s a pic:

92CC64C9-E572-494B-8A9F-2C265C3ADFEE.jpeg

You could try to squeeze the sides of the base of the tube in a vise. This might elongate the front to back of the tube to release it.

An extra long screw into the follower will give you the ability to pull the follower up.

Rich

Ah, the fine art of Para follower trimming*. It is kind of hard to tell from the overhead picture but it looks like the follower is trying to tip forward into a nose down position. Get a big ass screwdriver and push down on the rear of the follower. Also, be sure to point the top of the mag tube at something you are willing to destroy 😉  There may also be a clockwise twist. Give the right side a nudge with the BASD. 

* When I trimmed followers, I cut the front skirt and trimmed the rear to make it a bit shorter. A radius on the top front edge helped also.