Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In Door Range Practice

Brundoggie

Between weekend matches I sometimes get a chance to practice on an indoor range. I'd like some suggestions for a 100 to 150 round practice session for a "stand up straight and shoot at paper" type of session.
Somewhere on this board is a link to where I found the following set of drills. Searched a while but couldn't find it.

Each of these drills can be done at any distance. Start off at 7 yds. But do move it in to 3 yds and out as far as you can go. I run a timer for each drill and keep track of the results in a spreadsheet to track progress. Personally I allow nothing but A hits to count. My range allows draws from the holster. If your range doesn't just go with the gun from low ready strong hand (the position where the gun just clears the holster and the muzzle is coming forward). All targets are IPSC targets.

Double tap one target (focus on the splits)

One, reload, one (focus on the reload time)

Range ready, one (reaction time)

Draw, one (draw time)

Draw, two strong hand (draw, accuracy and split time)

Draw, two weak hand

Double Draw Master (do a seach on this board for drill instructions)

Bill Drill (recoil control)

Mix up the target presentations with hardcover and no-shoots.

Another indoor drill I do is "A Zone Accuracy". Print up some targets with the 6"x11" A-Zone on tan heavy stock paper. Put one up at 10' or 15'. Shoot 5. All 5 in the A-Zone? Good. Move it back 5'. Do it again. Somewhere you'll hit a wall where you just can't seem to get 5 in the A-Zone. Before you get frustrated, stop. Figure out what you need to do to get 5 in the A-Zone. Keep working at it till you can get 5 on demand at the max distance of the range.

One more thats fun that works well for an indoor range is vertical target transitions. Set up 3 targets vertically with the middle being a no-shoot. Do your homework to work out the mechanics of setting this one up using your ranges equipment. My range bag has an assortment of parachute cord, ty-raps, and clothespins. Draw and shoot 2 in the lower and 2 in the upper. Or 2 in the lower, reload, 2 in the upper.

Use your imagination. Take a stage and break it down to very small parts. For example, CM03-05 Paper Poppers. Lets work on the steel. Put up 3 sheets of plain white heavy stock paper at 11 yds spread out as far your lane allows. Draw and put one on each. The calibration zone on a popper is 12" diameter. If you've put a hit on a 8.5" x 11" piece of paper then the steel has gone down.