Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Left Or Right

DavidV

Hello everybody,

I'm new to compitition shooting and have come across something I would like to run past you guys. By nature I am left handed left eye dominate but I do not always do everything left handed. Recently when working on strong and weak hand shooting I found out that I shoot better with my weak hand. One thing that I found out is when shooting with my strong hand (left) I use my left eye but when I shoot weak hand (right) I use my right eye. Also, my trigger control seems to be better with my weak hand then my strong hand. The thing is that I have a stigmatism (sp?) in my left eye which makes everything a little more blurry and harder for me to see the sights then with my right eye. Because of this I was wondering if I should try to shoot right handed which would also give me the ablility to use all the controls on the gun.

I hope this makes since and thanks for the feedback.

I think that this is going to be a very individual thing. You will have to try it, to find the answer that is right for you.

One of the guys I shoot with is mostly left handed, but he shoots righty, and does very well. I am right handed, and switching does not tempt me in the least.

added

You might have experienced a "trick of the day" in your weak hand shooting. Keep doing it, and see if you continue to get the same results.

Edited by wide45

• 4 weeks later...

I feel your pain. I'm a lefty but grew up being taught to shoot by right handed shooters. In the Army I didn't like getting brass in my face so I got used to shooting my M-16 right handed. I rarely shoot left handed except when practicing and when the course description calls for weak hand.......I always say I don't have one.

If you are left eye dominant, you may want to stick with southpaw. It gets weird crossing over. Some do it with success, however.

When I shot bullseye, I used to shoot slow fire lefty and timed and rapid righty sometimes. The head movement caused some issues from time to time.

• 1 month later...

Because a very small percentage of your shooting is going to be strong hand or weak hand, the better question to answer would be which way do you shoot better when shooting freestyle (gun in right hand or in left hand but supported). Answer that before you decide to switch hands.

My closest shooting buddy shoots right handed but is left eye dominant. He cocks his head the the side a bit and uses his left eye, does very well.

Trevor

Edited by trevoro