Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it time for a Combined Action Shooting World Championship?

Nimitz

There's no perfect place for this but I'll post it here & in the 'other shooting sports' sub forum so if it gets any traction the mods can combine them ....

So,  we have multiple , individual action shooting sports: USPSA, IDPA, Steel Challenge, Bianchi Cup, 3-gun.  they are all different in some respect, have theiur loyal followers & detractors but the one thing they do all have in common is that they are 'Action Shooting' sports -- to excel at any of them you must master the ability to shoot accurately at speed.  Given this, I think a great way to grow all the sports would be to have a combined world action shooting championship.  while there would be  zillion ways to do this the basic concept would be something like say a week long competition where competitors would shoot stages from all the individual sports and then devise some sort of scoring system to normalize between them and at the end you would crown a Combined Action Shooting World Champion.  I think this would be an interesting way to grow all the sports and drive more interest and could help quell some of the never ending debate about which is 'better' ....

obviously there are a million things to work out to do something like this and if you could ever generate sponsor interest so that there could be actual prize money like professional bass fishing, professional beach volleyball, professional bowling, etc where the top pros actually make healthy livings, that would go a long way.

So what do folks think?  please don't just comment on why it won't work as there are always solutions to roadblocks if there is enough interest but try providing constructive comments on what it might do or not do for competitive shooting is really the goal.  if you think its a bad idea don't just say so because it would be hard to do, tell why you think competitors & others would not be interested ....

so let's here what you have to say ...