Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Modding 300BLK cases to take Large Rifle Primers

StuBeef302

35 minutes ago, dannyd said:

Best thing about this mess: we have gained a lot of new reloader's and bullet casters.   :)

I agree, I’m happy about all the new gun owners too.  If their demand is the  reason for the shortage, it’s worth it.  More gun owners = more 2A voters. It might not be 1 to 1 but I’ll take any percentage.  More 2A voters = more freedom baby!

Back from the range, no blown-off face. Hooray! 

My reloading disclaimer: don't do what I do, you'll shoot your eye out, also you may blow your face off, also you may die.

I loaded 3 sets of 300BLK rounds,

all using the same bullets: 150 gr Hornady FMJ-BT

and same powder: CFE-BLK

All tests were done with a 10" AR upper loading only one round at a time using a single shot filler block in place of a meg.

Set one:

5 rounds of plain small primer, 19.5 gr of powder as a benchmark.  (this has been my most consistent load with this bullet and powder.)

Set two:

9 rounds of ladder test with cases modified for lg rifle primers, starting with 18.8 gr of powder and ending with 20.4 gr in 0.2 gr increments. 

Set three: (presuming I didn't see too much pressure sign in the ladder)

5 rounds of large primer modified cases, 19.5 gr of powder to compare to the benchmark.

The benchmark (Set One) yielded an Average Velocity of 1652 fps, and a Std Dev of 13 fps

The comparative large primer set (Set Three) yielded an Average Velocity of 1660 fps and a Std Dev of 11

It was o-kay overall.

The ladder set was also a very nice curve.  BUT, lots of pretty flat large primers.

Only the slowest two had no pressure sign, with nice curved primers.  An interesting thing is that there was no pressure sign at all other than the flat primers, all the way to max charge.  No sign of a crater into the firing pin relief, no sign of ejector wipe, no sign of extractor wipe or tearing.  Nothing.  Just flat primers.

I won't bother with this experiment again, the primers seemed too flat to me.

I have to say I am a bit surprised, The load data that refences case pressure for the CFE-BLK loads (Hodgdon and Lee) both say that case pressures in this load are expected to be about 10,000-15,000 less than other powders for a similar velocity.  So whatever the heck you do, don't try this test with any higher pressure powders (which is everything else)

I'll post pics of the fired cases soon and the velocity data too.

Adios

Edited by StuBeef302

Used Winchester Large Rifle in a 357 magnum light target load.  Strange thing is: the Standard Deviation was better than the load with Small pistol primers.  Extreme spread was better too.  The velocity was about 50 fps more.

Edited by dannyd

14 minutes ago, dannyd said:

Used Winchester Large Rifle in a 357 magnum light target load.  Strange thing is: the Standard Deviation was better than the load with Small pistol primers.  Extreme spread was better too.  The velocity was about 50 fps more.

wouldn't you expect faster and more consistent speed with a light target load and more primer?  The greater amount of priming compound ignition getting into that loose powder more thoroughly.  Just a thought.  Doesn't loose powder in a target load generally result in a worse Std Dev?  More priming compound should make that better I'd think. (I'm no expert though)

Velocity Data...

LOAD DATA:
300BLK,  150gr Hornady FMJ,  COAL 2.098",   Hodgdon CFE-BLK
v1 v2 v3 v4 v5 Avg std dev    
Group 1 (sm primers) 1633 1646 1652 1657 1674 1652 13    
Powder 19.5 19.5 19.5 19.5 19.5        

LOAD DATA:
v1 v2 v3 v4 v5 v6 v7 v8 v9
Group 2 (lg primers) 1581 1613 1620 1640 1674 1679 1685 1691 1718
Powder 18.8 19.0 19.2 19.4 19.6 19.8 20.0 20.2 20.4

LOAD DATA:
v1 v2 v3 v4 v5 Avg std dev    
Group 3 (lg primers) 1642 1657 1660 1666 1674 1660 11    
Powder 19.5 19.5 19.5 19.5 19.5        

26 minutes ago, dannyd said:

I just noticed I had an excel error (an fixed it, my Std Dev was a tiny bit better with the larges too.  Probably not enough to be reliable.  with only five shots, and a 2 fps std dev improvement, it could easily go the other way with more shots.

On 2/28/2021 at 8:36 PM, StuBeef302 said:

Last but not least... (in hindsight the primers don't look bad)

I don't think your primers look bad. For comparison I just did a ladder in 7 mag with CCI LR#200 primers because I don't have and can't find any LR mag primers. I was watching for pressure very closely and saw none and very little change from my starting to max load

20210304_111008_resized_1.jpg