Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P CO Intermittent Malfunctions

NETim

New to me 1.0 CORE.   Bought it used. Advertised as lightly used.  (It appears that way.)

Apex FSS

Apex SDI barrel

Leupold DPP and Leupy plate

Occasionally, about once or twice per 100, I'll get a malfunction where the fired case gets pinched in the ejection port and causes a stoppage.   I tried a 13 lb Glock flatwire recoil spring this AM on a captured rod.  It doesn't seem to make much difference, malfunction wise.   I'm leery of running it in a match right now as the malf can be very slow to clear.  

I didn't bring along my Torx wrench to remove the DPP this AM.  I am thinking an occasional case is getting kicked back down into the ejection port off of the DPP.   Ejection on this gun, and my relatively unmolested 1.0 Pro (Apex trigger/guts is all), is erratic at best.   Brass goes just about everywhere but the 1.0 Pro never gets the same malfunction using the same loads and mags.  

The extractor on the CORE seems to hold an unfired round fairly tightly and as far as I can see, the extractor is in good shape.  

I've got an Apex extractor on the way and will give that a whirl in the CORE.  

Other than trying to run the CORE w/o the DPP onboard to see how it runs, I can't think of anything else.  I could try the original ported barrel in it to see how it runs too I guess but I think that's a long shot.

See if the original barrel runs well. Maybe the Apex Barrel has been fitted too tightly, so lots of the rearward energy's being used up unlocking the slide and barrel, so there's not enough force left to kick the casing out occasionally. Try adjusting the fitment on the Apex barrel. Non ported factory barrels are also an option to pick up to make it legal. 

Spicer ammo's also an option 😆

I got a chance to do a little work on the M&P today.  

1) Checked Apex barrel fit.  The 2lbs force they recommend to "nudge" the slide into battery after final fitting was closer to 5lbs according to the trigger pull gauge I hung on the back of the slide.  Did a little more fllling on the barrel and got it to 2lbs.

2) Installed Apex FRE.  

3) I put a slight angle on the blunt nosed factory ejector.  I don't believe the factory contour gave the empty cases any reason to kick outwards.  In fact, to my eye anyway, the ejector was angled slightly INWARDS.  

Now I get a pretty consistent 3 o'clock ejection pattern as LONG AS I GRIP THE GUN TIGHTLY.  Even with my mixed headstamp reloads.  The ejected brass appears to come out at a nice low trajectory too.   

I was a little apprehensive about filing away on the ejector  but heck it's only a $3 part.  I can always start over on another.  

Now to go remount the plate and DPP.