Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super1050 / RL1100 toolheads interchangeable?

1 hour ago, Chutist said:

So this would have been  GREAT during the last great ammo/primer shortage.....  '95?  anyway, a long time ago and I'm Old AF so... I was shooting a Matt McLearn Open gun in 9x21 and the only brass you could get was this stuff from Italy.  Primer pockets were very inconsistent on BRAND NEW brass, which led to primer seating issues.  This tool would have helped....

Chutist:

IMO, the Everglades primer backer definitely helps!  I also purchased the Ammo Brass Swage Setter which also doubles as a means of getting consistent, average seating depths regardless of brass or primers used.

Primer Backer 5.png

Primer Backer 7.png

On 9/27/2020 at 11:11 AM, RePete said:

You must be sorting your brass because the case heads are different thicknesses, and the thickness would be different with the flashhole punched.

Just as the Station #3 is set up to allow for different brass, I use the same technique for setting up the primer station backer:

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/288680-super1050-rl1100-toolheads-interchangeable/?do=findComment&comment=3214482

Still puts my primer seating depth within the range I establish for MY ammo........

You also said that the lever arm bracket needs to be re engineered.  As it's an aftermarket addition, then the maker of the primer hold down die should do it and not Dillon.

Yes, I said needs re-engineered.........didn't say by Dillon............💡

I have never used the hold down die, never had a problem that would require it.  I have had my 1050 for 14 years.

And I started reloading with a Dillon 650 in 1992..............but, I'm always open to new ideas.................  :)

I do like to experiment with different products and procedures in my reloading just as in my shooting.  And I consider experimentation very valuable for helping me understand the operation of my loading machine.  But, I also realize trying different products/procedures can lead to more issues than good.  But that's the fun of learning, IMO!

👍

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

16 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

Yes, I said needs re-engineered.........didn't say by Dillon............💡

And I started reloading with a Dillon 650 in 1988..............but, I'm always open to new ideas.................  :)

I do like to experiment with different products and procedures in my reloading just as in my shooting.  And I consider experimentation very valuable for helping me understand the operation of my loading machine.  But, I also realize trying different products/procedures can lead to more issues than good.  But that's the fun of learning, IMO!

👍

1988?  I thought the 650 came out in the early 90's?  😉 I was on a 550 in the '80's.  Got my 1050 some time in the 90's...  and cranked out a BUNCH of 9x21 on it!  Back in the days when Major 9 was a no no.... 😃

And I'm still learning stuff... That's a good thing! 😃

2 minutes ago, Chutist said:

1988?  I thought the 650 came out in the early 90's?  😉 I was on a 550 in the '80's.  Got my 1050 some time in the 90's...  and cranked out a BUNCH of 9x21 on it!  Back in the days when Major 9 was a no no.... 😃

And I'm still learning stuff... That's a good thing! 😃

Chutist:

After checking my records, you are absolutely right!  My First press ever was a 650, and I had one when they first came out.  And it's still in use today by a good friend.

Thanks for correcting my error!

👍:)

1 hour ago, OptimiStick said:

Gah....Dillon was sending me a primer tube , thinking it was bent and causing the shuttle travel issue. Took 2 weeks, and what I got was the internal primer mag, not the outer tube. Doh!

Stick:

Had an upper level tech tell me how to check the outer magazine tube.  Take a 12" or less level and check for plumb on both sides "if" the bench is level in both directions.  If the mag tube is bent/out of plumb a little, grab a fist full near the top and bend/tweak it back to where it should be.  Didn't mention removing the inner tube; but had I found it out, I would have removed the inner tube.

🤔💡

7 hours ago, OptimiStick said:

Thx. Bench is not level front to back

That's ok...........whatever amount out of plumb your bench is, then use that same bubble level for your target of the outer magazine.........

👍