Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super1050 / RL1100 toolheads interchangeable?


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, OptimiStick said:

Having some slight primer-shuttle travel / index issues on my RL1100 after a toolhead swap. The toolhead is a 1050 toolhead. Other than the ratchet and the hole size over the priming station are the toolheads the same dimensionally? I thought so, but wanted to rule that out.

According to my RL1100 Manual and the latest edition of the Super 1050 Manual:

 

S1050 uses Toolhead #20420

RL1100 uses Toolhead #66024.

 

🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, George16 said:

When I installed a new addional toolhead for my 1100, I have to adjust the primer actuator pin so the primer slide indexes correctly.

 

Yeah, mine is I can't get it to bring the primer shuttle quite far enough forward no matter how I adjust the actuator. I can get it far enough that the guide-pin in the toolhead will  catch pull it forward that last little bit - 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.dillonprecision.com/rl-1100-toolhead_8_2_26786.html

 

https://www.bobcatarmament.com/dillon-rl1100-toolhead.html

 

https://immortobot.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_43&products_id=379

 

Purchased one of the Everglades Primer Hold Down Dies for my RL1100; and as stated in their documentation, the bushing had to be machined to fit the hole at Station #4 on the RL1100 toolhead.

 

https://www.evergladesammo.com/ega-hold-down-die.html

 

Basically, the RL1100 hole at Station #4 is 9/16".

 

💡

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, OptimiStick said:

 

Yeah, mine is I can't get it to bring the primer shuttle quite far enough forward no matter how I adjust the actuator. I can get it far enough that the guide-pin in the toolhead will  catch pull it forward that last little bit - 

What’s the condition of your primer slide indexing assembly? Have you tried adjusting the primer slide adjustable drop stop at the back of your machine? 

 

Try adjusting the Adjustable Primer Slide Rear Travel Alignment Stop Set Screw with a 1/8” Allen Wrench and the Lock Nut with a 1/4” Allen Wrench in 1/8 turn increments.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, George16 said:

What’s the condition of your primer slide indexing assembly? Have you tried adjusting the primer slide adjustable drop stop at the back of your machine? 

 

Try adjusting the Adjustable Primer Slide Rear Travel Alignment Stop Set Screw with a 1/8” Allen Wrench and the Lock Nut with a 1/4” Allen Wrench in 1/8 turn increments.

 

Good question. Based on the issue I'm having, I'd suspect either its slightly bent out of shape  or the primer feed tube is. I didn't mess with the rear travel set screw - it's lining up fine in that direction, and picking up the primer fine. it's the other direction thats my issue. Adjusting the index assembly, I can't get it to bring the primer slide quite far enough to be lined up with the indexing hole in shell-plate. Its close enough the toolhead guide-pin can catch it and bring it forward. But to get it as far forward as possible, the primer index lever is higher than .10 from bottoming out, and the assembly is not straight when looking at it from the front of the press. It's off to an angle.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, RePete said:

Look at page 71.  20420.

RePete:

Yea, those manuals can sure be confusing................ especially when you reference the numbers on the website.

 

From TRUSTED member of Dillon Tech Support:

Quote

 

Correct, misprint on page 71, should be as on pg 72 – 66024 for the RL1100.

The only difference between RL1050, Super 1050 and RL1100 ToolHeads are the lengths of the ratchets.

Stock numbers for ToolHeads  are, 66024 for the RL1100 and 20420 for the RL1050 and the Super 1050. When a customer orders a ToolHead, either he tells us or we ask which model machine he has. The 20420 defaults to the Super Ratchet, if he has an RL1050, then we throw in the RL Rachet at no-charge.

 

Hope this helps.

 

 

👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awesome, thank you. 

 

For note -the other difference is the hole over priming station is smaller on the 1100 toolhead. Everglades primer hold-down die doesn't fit. But that answers my question. I wanted to be sure there wasn't some dimensional change that may be the cause of my issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, OptimiStick said:

Awesome, thank you. 

 

For note -the other difference is the hole over priming station is smaller on the 1100 toolhead. Everglades primer hold-down die doesn't fit. But that answers my question. I wanted to be sure there wasn't some dimensional change that may be the cause of my issue.

Since I forgot to ask about the Station #4 hole diameter difference when I sent the first inquiry, I have sent another request in hopes of clarifying the hole differences.  Could very well be that current/future toolheads will share a common diameter.  Will update if I receive new info.

 

👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OptimiStick said:

okay, so then one other small note - the finishes are different - and the 1100 toolhead has smooth sides, the 1050 toolhead has a rougher textured finish on the side of the toolhead. That could just be an evolution of the manufacturing (I assume casting?) process.

Could be!  And an excellent point!  

Though were still dealing with Covid-19 setbacks, I wonder if Dillon is going to "standardize" the production of RL1050/S1050/RL1100 toolheads, and have them manufactured by the same subcontractor.  Of course, that could prove to be good or bad depending on the stability of the manufacturer......

 

IMO, I hope Dillon continues to offer the S1050 and the RL1100 as they both appear to have a following.  But for me, that additional warranty was just too good to pass up since I'm only loading pistol calibers for now.

 

Now the big question...........if we decide to purchase another toolhead, do we look to Dillon or lean towards something like the CNC Shooter offering?

 

https://immortobot.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=229

 

I does have some nice additions to the standard Dillon offering...............

 

Hmmmmmm.......

 

🤔;):cheers:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I needed that extra toolhead, none the aftermarkets with the threaded priming station were in stock, so I went with the stock Dillon one. But now that I've spent some time with with it, that toolhead is so tight and crowded - I'm not sure how useful the threaded station really is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, OptimiStick said:

When I needed that extra toolhead, none the aftermarkets with the threaded priming station were in stock, so I went with the stock Dillon one. But now that I've spent some time with with it, that toolhead is so tight and crowded - I'm not sure how useful the threaded station really is. 

Totally understand!

 

 Was talking with my source today, and a call to engineering came back with "they're all the same except the Ratchet."  Being a bit doubtful, he's going to put his hands on a couple and let me know for sure.

 

If an aftermarket toolhead does offer the threaded Station #4, then like you noted it's a bit crowded and the Lever Arm Bracket has to be dealt with!  Here's a pic of my Everglades Primer Hold Down Die that shows just how close the Bracket sits to that Station #4 location..........

 

IMO, that Bracket needs to be re-engineered!

EG Primer Backup.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Chutist said:

Learn something all the time here....

I had no idea what that primer hold down die was!  Had to look it up to see what it was and why you might need one. 😉

Since there's definitely a certain amount of "flex" in the 1050/1100 shell plates, this is a simple and very effective way to stabilize primer seating depth consistency.

 

👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/24/2020 at 6:23 PM, HOGRIDER said:

Totally understand!

 

 Was talking with my source today, and a call to engineering came back with "they're all the same except the Ratchet."  Being a bit doubtful, he's going to put his hands on a couple and let me know for sure.

 

If an aftermarket toolhead does offer the threaded Station #4, then like you noted it's a bit crowded and the Lever Arm Bracket has to be dealt with!  Here's a pic of my Everglades Primer Hold Down Die that shows just how close the Bracket sits to that Station #4 location..........

 

IMO, that Bracket needs to be re-engineered!

EG Primer Backup.png

 

You must be sorting your brass because the case heads are different thicknesses, and the thickness would be different with the flashhole punched.

 

You also said that the lever arm bracket needs to be re engineered.  As it's an aftermarket addition, then the maker of the primer hold down die should do it and not Dillon.

 

I have never used the hold down die, never had a problem that would require it.  I have had my 1050 for 14 years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RePete said:

I have never used the hold down die, never had a problem that would require it.  I have had my 1050 for 14 years.

agree    10ish years for me

Edited by AHI
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

Since there's definitely a certain amount of "flex" in the 1050/1100 shell plates, this is a simple and very effective way to stabilize primer seating depth consistency.

 

👍

So this would have been  GREAT during the last great ammo/primer shortage.....  '95?  anyway, a long time ago and I'm Old AF so... I was shooting a Matt McLearn Open gun in 9x21 and the only brass you could get was this stuff from Italy.  Primer pockets were very inconsistent on BRAND NEW brass, which led to primer seating issues.  This tool would have helped....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...