Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When The New Toy Can Go Outside And Play...

Wakal

Finally (after sending in the paperwork back in April) got my tax stamp back from Our Pals at the BATFE. Hey, the tax collection agency actually collected some taxes! :P

So now my "countertop decoration upper" can finally join up with its lower, and the whole mess is headed for the range without worrying about 10 years in the Club Fed. M4 type lower with a shorty flatup upper featuring a carbine free-float handguard over a seven-inch comp'ed AR barrel, in .223.

No idea what I wanted it for, but it sure is cute. Pictures after the range :)

Alex

Not so much anymore. The deadweight over in the old office was "invited to retire." The new folks actually ANSWER THE PHONE. And call you back...and follow up on your case...and give their full names and supervisor's full names when asked. I had to do some searching to find the last names (and home addresses, and kid's names, and...well, the internet is not a secure place for your personal data ;) ) of the idiots that were playing the "...we don't give out full names" games. Homie don't play dat.

ANYWAY, my new tech was very helpful and actually called me back when she had something interesting to tell me (such as "...there is no reason that you should not have had this back months ago; I will get it in the mail this afternoon...").

My new SBR moonlights as an M4 (the bottom rifle in this picture, shown with a 14.5" barrel and a F2 comp):

http://www.dreadnaught-industries.com/imag...15_mobscene.JPG

But when the moon is full, it transforms:

http://www.dreadnaught-industries.com/imag...ns/AR15_SBR.jpg

My best (inadvertent) groups on sight-in were 3-shot 1.5" at 100 yards, which was FAR better than I expected. I just wanted minute-of-chicken at 200 yards ;)

Which turned out be a lot easier than I expected, once I remembered that I put a rail on the handguard for flashlights and bipods. Although a bipod on a 7" gun is pretty darn amusing looking. Both Fred and I had no problem shooting the ram/piggie/turkey/chicken steel targets at 200 yards offhand, which (again) is far better than I expected. I have no idea where I got the idea that this stubbly little bugger wasn't going to be good for anything past fifty yards, but I'm glad that I was quite incorrect.

Obnoxious, though...comp blast kept blowing my hair back. Made cute little orange fireballs about two feet long on either side of the muzzle, too.

My next project is going to be fitting a F2 and cutting a channel about 1" wide and 3" long in the top of the handguard to give the F2's first vertical port somewhere to go that isn't covered in...handguard...

:D

Alex

Edited by Wakal

• 2 months later...

Yes, but I'd rather have a compensator.

That works.

:lol:

After much deliberation, Fred and I figured out what was wrong. The carbine free-float tube was too long, and gas was blowing back into the tube and out the spanner wrench holes in the back...into the shooter's face.

A visit to Mr. Chop Saw fixed that little problem.

The other issue was the violent bolt cycling...solved with a pigtail gas block and a larger gas port.

I did have to add a forward pistol grip, though, as the poor wee barrel gets a bit warm (ouch ouch ouch ouch).

http://www.dreadnaught-industries.com/imag...5_SBR_dec05.jpg

Alex