Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Returing after back surgery

Learn2count

Had a laminectomy L3 L4 & L5 august 12.  L5 was the worst.  Neurosurgeon said it was severely pinched.  Spent 3 days in recovery.  Post op instructions were to walk walk walk.  My post op aug 17 visit removed the staples and with a gauze patch i can wear my belt.  Doc even gave me the go.  

Im squadded in the Oregon State match in Bend,  Sept 19.  Wether or not i can do it remains to be seen.  Too late to withdraw for a refund so i want my shirt...

My walking therapy started at .4 miles.  Today I did 1.5 miles in 38 minutes.  No breaks.  

Besides walking what can i do to prepare for the 10 stages in Bend? No. Im not trying for 1st place.  Just there to give everyone else a break while i take 3 min shooting a stage!😗

God bless you brother!  Just had very similar at the beginning of August and still having issues.  I don't know your general age or conditioning but I'd caution you about the pounding that your lower back will take from the movements in a match.  Are you in physical therapy?  If you are I would take their suggestions over the docs to be honest.  My doc gave me a series of exercises 2 weeks out that were outright painful.  The following week when I started PT, my therapist was shocked they had me doing the exercises given.  Walking is great, which reminds me, its time for to hit the treadmill.  Good luck to you!

I lost about 90lbs before surgery.  Down to 165 now by eating chicken and zero sugar.  No PT yet.  Md says ill start after my sept 26 appt.  I asked about the match.  He said the weight on my hips wouldnt be a big issue but traveling might. 1hr breaks to walk around.  Ive been working on moving my body with my knees not my trunk.  Core excercises are out for now. No situps ets. Ive done some leg stuff, wall sits, rubber band leg strengthening etc.  Previous PT gave me some ideas.  My balance is worse than it was.  Weak muscles i guess.  

I can empathizes with everyone, July 12 had my 4th back surgery which was a complete reconstruction 7 levels. Walking is best and pt, but there are just some things you can not do any more. My plans when I am able to get back to it is to shoot carry optics so I do not have to pick brass like I did with my open gun. My biggest obstacle is My Doc says no more lifting over 10 to 15 pounds, not sure how I am going to work around that but I will find a way if I have to hire someone to carry everything for me.  Make sure you have some kind of cart to carry your bags. Better yet someone to carry your bag, lol.  A chair with a straight back to sit and take the load off some will help. Limit your bend or lifting, like not picking up steel, just do the pasting, but let your squad know you have limitations so they know. Things I have learned over the years. My first surgery was 1995, 2nd 2005 next this past January then July. I started shooting in 2000 and have been shooting ever since. Missed some years but always get back to it when I'm able. 

Edited by mcattack