Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Multigun: Shooting Out A Shell/bullet To Unload

Religious Shooter

Stage 1 at the 2005 3G Nationals the stage had paper and steel/clay targets. The directions specifically stated that the paper could only be engaged by slugs and that the steel/clay could only be engaged by shot.

One of the shooters had a shot shell in the chamber. He loaded slugs in the tube. In order to switch to slugs he engaged the paper with the birdshot and reengaged it with a slug. He recieved a procedural for it.

With the absence of such directions, can you engage paper with shot to basically get rid of it as in this case?

I had the same situation on Stage 1 --- I had birdshot in the chamber. I hit the bolt to take out the round. But if I had shot it out, other than the last birdshot target, where can I discharge that round without incurring a penalty or DQ'ing?

I shot that same stage. Prior to shooting the stage I asked the RO if it was legal to "re-engage" a busted clay target or re-engage a downed steel to avoid having to dumping a round down range or hand unloading an unfired round. He told me to shoot one of the previously engaged targets.

I wound up loading four slugs into the tube on the fly, then loaded the proper number of shot shells behind the slugs. Then made sure I didn't miss with the shot shells. Just transitioned to the paper targets and engaged with the slugs. No need to worry about having an extra shot shell in the weapon when I moved to the paper targets.

I loved that stage!

A stage should be "freestyle" except for any specified (written) Procedures.

It seems like the written procedure in this case prevented the engagement of the paper with shot (likely a good idea as far as stage reset goes).

Other than that, I would think you could dump a round downrange without worry. As long as it is done in a safe direction/manner, I can't see how an RO could call a DQ for anything.

I wound up loading four slugs into the tube on the fly, then loaded the proper number of shot shells behind the slugs. Then made sure I didn't miss with the shot shells. Just transitioned to the paper targets and engaged with the slugs. No need to worry about having an extra shot shell in the weapon when I moved to the paper targets.

If I had my head together at the end I would have liked to have done that. But noooooo! Had to miss a target or two whick that just messed up my whole reloading sequence. You just can't miss in shotgun.