Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cutting 1911 Sear Spring Method

unclerandy

I'd like some advice on how to cut a 1911 sear spring. I need to make a hand spring for an 1800's spur hammer .22 and intend to use a chopped 1911 flat spring. How would I go about cutting it? I don't have a band saw or scroll saw. I'm not sure if its to hard for a coping or jewelers saw. Wondering if I'll have to anneal it in order to cut and reheat treat? 

Just now, unclerandy said:

I was concerned this might effect the heat treat.

to mess up the heat treat you have to get it pretty hot, you would have to go at it pretty hard and fast to build up that much heat, just dont go crazy grinding on it and let it cool down between cuts. 

I will say I'm not sure how small the part your trying to cut out is, if its small and you have to make a long cut to make it (think cutting one of the fingers in half the long way) then you may need to do some heat mitigation, either make short cuts and let it cool between or clamp the part you want to keep cool in a vice between some aluminum strips st act as a heat sink. 

9 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

to mess up the heat treat you have to get it pretty hot, you would have to go at it pretty hard and fast to build up that much heat, just dont go crazy grinding on it and let it cool down between cuts. 

I will say I'm not sure how small the part your trying to cut out is, if its small and you have to make a long cut to make it (think cutting one of the fingers in half the long way) then you may need to do some heat mitigation, either make short cuts and let it cool between or clamp the part you want to keep cool in a vice between some aluminum strips st act as a heat sink. 

I appreciate the advice. It is a very small part and the leg will be less than .250, I'll give it a try when the spring get here. I'll start oversize and finish with a file.