Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Increasing the primer depth on a XL650

Greetings all,

I recently placed a post about if the Dillon 750 Improved the primer depth compared to the xl650 and found out no. DBlue responded to my thread and suggested that the primer plunger assembly be disassembled and removing material from the ram. This is due to the ram having a shoulder which will not allow the primer being pushed in any farther. I took the ram and placed it in a drill and used a rat tail file and removed material. I wasn’t able to measure how much due to the angle of the shoulder. After about 5 minutes I took the ram out of the drill and reassembled the primer punch assembly. I but it back into my press and tried to reseat my CCI small pistol primer. I could feel that the primer was seated well below the base of the brass so I was happy with the result. Here are some pictures of the before and after measurements. The measurements are taken at the top of the shell plate and how far the ram rises in the before and after the modification.

First picture is what DBlue posted and shows where the material needs to be removed from.

Second and third show a new small primer punch in place and show measurements

Fourth and fifth show results from removing material from the ram.

Again I want to reiterate that this idea came from DBlue and without his idea, I might me looking at a 1050 to help with my primer problem.

1C761C6D-E06D-4A80-9430-4CBD2B5B5AEA.jpeg

6E6201BE-A4A5-4D0E-A3DB-B0B7A99A4AF3.jpeg

FE14375E-51AC-47CC-BEBD-640F01D435E5.jpeg

FB4B0D88-67A9-451B-96E8-863B6CF34575.jpeg

FAC5C0E3-D9D6-48B0-81A1-B0302C568770.jpeg

• 5 months later...