Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DAA/Uniquetek Powder Funnels wort it? Shaving coated bullets.

IrishPsych

I haven’t had issues loading 9mm/40/45/45lc in coated bullets. But today my first go at 38 special coated and I’m getting shaved bullets. 

On a 650. Using the correct powder funnel. Using a hornady seat/crimp BUT backed crimp off cuz I taper crimp in last stage. 

Using a 158gr .358 SNS bullet and seating to 1.450 which is NOT in the crimp groove. These 38sp rounds are light load...will be once I get going. 

I’ve been reading about the powder funnels from DAA that are stepped. At $40 each it would be a $120 investment to cover all pistol rounds I load. 

Would these powder funnels help significantly? I’m going to try adjusting the seating die, backing it out a little or changing from the flat step to the cupped stem. 

I haven’t had issues loading 9mm/40/45/45lc in coated bullets. But today my first go at 38 special coated and I’m getting shaved bullets. 

On a 650. Using the correct powder funnel. Using a hornady seat/crimp BUT backed crimp off cuz I taper crimp in last stage. 

Using a 158gr .358 SNS bullet and seating to 1.450 which is NOT in the crimp groove. These 38sp rounds are light load...will be once I get going. 

I’ve been reading about the powder funnels from DAA that are stepped. At $40 each it would be a $120 investment to cover all pistol rounds I load. 

Would these powder funnels help significantly? I’m going to try adjusting the seating die, backing it out a little or changing from the flat step to the cupped stem. 
I'm not overly impressed by mine. But I got it to try to deal with the funnel sticking on the inside of wet tumbled brass. If I needed another, I'd buy the Dillon one

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

You know, I read some used a 9mm taper crimp. 

So I swapped out the newly bought lee 38sp taper crimp and spun a 8 year old hornady 9mm/38sp taper crimp in and viola, perfection.  No lead or brass shavings. Fell in and out of case gauge. Doesn’t make sense to me but it worked.