Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun Choices

eric nielsen

guys having shot both c-more and now docter I have decided to stay with the docter. If you go with a docter you need BEVEN GRAM to bevenize it so it does not break or lose zero. You also need Beven to mill out the slide for the docter as well. If the cut is not made right which has the four post system you will not keep that docter on line for long. As Eric stated, when using the docter setup your angles are different and for me I realized my hits are better, and I find the dot quicker. The biggest reason for my switch is the docter set up seems to shoot a lot flatter keeping the gun on track better. In speaking to beven, who now only shoots docter sights, I was convinced to give it a try, and I am glad I did.. Paul, the reason most shooters have not used docter set ups is due to the realiabilty of the sight. Now that Beven has corrected that, I guarantee you will see more shooters using this system.

No offense Dean, but B.S.

Here my opinion on them.

1) Reliability issues

2) Lack of intensity setting

3) Dot not very crisp

4) Dot size not changable

5) Harder to pick-up dot

6) Viewing window to small

These of course are MY opinions, which means jack-crap to most.

Edited by PaulW

I agree with #3 and #4.

Also think that Dean's new gun looks pretty cool. Far as I know it costs the same to buy the Long/Wide frame as the short frame.

ALMOST went to the bank teller today to draw out a stack of Ben Franklins [for the Strayer website gun] but now I'm thinking I wanna try Paul's gun, try Dean's gun, and not be in such a rush to have a STI or SV in my hands. The slightly-used Strayer has 3.5moa dot on BOTH Docters & I'm not happy with that. I like my Beven-brightened-bulletproofed 7moa. A LOT. Probably that's the deal-killer right there.

Another issue is my lower back. I'm not sure how much bending over to look for Super brass I can do. I'm totally spoiled on the .9c/round 9x19 nickel brass i've been shooting. Prior to that I shot 2c/round nickel 40cal brass.

I hung around after tonite's fun shoot to help 3 other guys get back their 45cal and 38super brass & i tell you that's frustrating as all heck standing in a pile of 9s and 40s.

Thanks again for everyone's help and the reason I asked for it is I'm a naturally unathletic person and I freely admit that the C-More kicks my ass. The easy purchase decision for one person is a tough one for me. I'll be at the corner waiting for the Short Yellow Bus...

I really loved using the JPoint but you know the probs I had were many of the same inssues discussed.

The no adjustability and not quite so clear dot really sucks. I have had many days that it was nice but quite frankly not being able to turn the dot up or down really is quite difficult at times.

Well I've shot more Open guns in the last couple weeks and learned some things too. I still think the Docter is the way to go on a Glock for several reasons. Probably not so necessary on a widebody 1911.

I found a stance that takes a standard STI that used to point in the dirt for me, and pushes up to point at the targets. Doesn't require a particular magwell or mainspring housing to work, if you've got the same point problem [it's rare] then send me a PM.

Decided to go with a tube sight. These have always been my favorite, since the early 90's, I just always had steel-frame guns that got HEAVY with a tube on top. STI - no problem.

Probably something like this:

post-354-1130442795_thumb.jpg

Or this:

post-354-1130442828_thumb.jpg

Big thanks again to Paul, Sandro, and Leo and to gunsmiths that have been patient with me. If I don't trip over my own feet I may learn how to shoot one of these days.

Well I've shot more Open guns in the last couple weeks and learned some things too. I still think the Docter is the way to go on a Glock for several reasons. Probably not so necessary on a widebody 1911.

I found a stance that takes a standard STI that used to point in the dirt for me, and pushes up to point at the targets. Doesn't require a particular magwell or mainspring housing to work, if you've got the same point problem [it's rare] then send me a PM.

Decided to go with a tube sight. These have always been my favorite, since the early 90's, I just always had steel-frame guns that got HEAVY with a tube on top. STI - no problem.

Probably something like this:

post-354-1130442795_thumb.jpg

Or this:

post-354-1130442828_thumb.jpg

Big thanks again to Paul, Sandro, and Leo and to gunsmiths that have been patient with me. If I don't trip over my own feet I may learn how to shoot one of these days.

The S_I with the Aimpoint and Blue&Black&gray APS grip is my old open, Brian Hawley built it for me. B)