Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillion RL 550 B

Pappy1

I know this is a month since the last post, but I wanted to add that if you really want to avoid a squib then you have to visually see the powder charge before putting a bullet on it.

I use the same press, the RL550 B. I mounted a light that goes down through the tool-stand hole in the center of the toolhead, and I mounted a dentist's mirror to the frame of the press right behind the bullet-seating station. The light shines down from above into the case, and the dentist mirror is angled so I can sit in my usual loading position and visually see the powder charge in the case before I set a bullet down into the case. The light I picked up from UniqueTek, and the dentist mirror I picked up at the grocery store in the toothbrush aisle. It's just a cheap plastic handle with a small, round mirror attached to it at an angle.

It adds zero time to my reloading process, and I feel better about having seen the powder, and that it appears to be in approximately the right quantity, before the bullet goes on. 

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've had two or three squibs that I can recall during my life, one of which was during a competition. That was definitely embarassing. That was the one that motivated me to rig up the light/mirror combo I use now, to ensure that this never happens again.

Edited by Sleigher

• 1 year later...
On 4/9/2020 at 8:53 AM, Pappy1 said:

To your question, I just ran the cases through the powder charge and skipped the first step re- sizing them. I always check the bullet crimp, If I recall, I never had a problem shooting the rounds before. I am sure I will find out some time this week but I surly don't think there will be a problem. I would like to move up to another press. It just that I have 3 tool heads and a little to much money in vested now.  The one thing I like about the other presses is that you have that extra stage for a powder checker.  I wished the 550 had that option. 

I usually remove the decap stem when needing too restart after dismantling/disassembling.