Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reliable place to get genuine Mitutoyo digital calipers?

On 4/23/2024 at 5:43 PM, odysseycamper said:

I work for Mitutoyo and there IS an official Amazon store. We have had repeated problems with forgeries and though it is POSSIBLE to get authentic on Ebay, I'd only consider it if the seller can show that they purchased from an authorized dealer. MSC, MSI-Viking, and Grainger are good bets, as are local tool distributors when they visit your shop. Prices fluctuate but in GENERAL, the Amazon store matches or in many cases beats the distributor prices. So, check both if you can. Also, be sure to use the store because there ARE fakes on Amazon. Mitutoyo has someone working full-time to squash the fakes.  If they came from China, they are probably fake as Mitutoyo builds these from start to finish in Japan.  That said, they COULD be real.  Sometimes a dealer in China will use their price advantage and ship to the US.  If you register them with Mitutoyo, you'll know for sure.  

that’s excellent info to have.. thanks!!!

love my mitutoyo digital and starrett dial mocrometers

On 4/23/2024 at 2:43 PM, odysseycamper said:

I work for Mitutoyo and there IS an official Amazon store. We have had repeated problems with forgeries and though it is POSSIBLE to get authentic on Ebay, I'd only consider it if the seller can show that they purchased from an authorized dealer. MSC, MSI-Viking, and Grainger are good bets, as are local tool distributors when they visit your shop. Prices fluctuate but in GENERAL, the Amazon store matches or in many cases beats the distributor prices. So, check both if you can. Also, be sure to use the store because there ARE fakes on Amazon. Mitutoyo has someone working full-time to squash the fakes.  If they came from China, they are probably fake as Mitutoyo builds these from start to finish in Japan.  That said, they COULD be real.  Sometimes a dealer in China will use their price advantage and ship to the US.  If you register them with Mitutoyo, you'll know for sure.  

so here is a question for you, and I hate to bother you with it here, but..... Why doesn't Mitutoyo make a set of calipers with metric, imperial and fractional measurement on the display. I know, I can convert, but being from a metric country, I actually have to do math for most of the imperial numbers to get fractions (other than the simple ones). I get that maybe it's not as accurate and Mit are known  for accuracy, but it's a common feature on cheaper ones and would be nice to have on the Mitutoyo.