Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eye Focus

Hello Y'all.
I am a college Student who is intending to compete in SASP competition. I am a founding member of a Marksmanship Team At Sam Houston State University. This is similar in idea to Steel Challenge, but for School and University teams. Currently I am practicing with my Glock 34 Gen5 MOS with the factory sights. 
During transitions and my first shot, I am having trouble actually focusing on the front sight, when on the timer I tend to focus on the rear U notch or the white targets rather than the front dot.  I believe this is due in part, because I am shooting at a white target with white front and rear sights, but I am open to the idea that I am simply training incorrectly.  I am also left handed and left eye dominant. 
Is there any practice technique I can do to help train my eye with the low contrast, or should I be looking for aftermarket sights?

Lefty shouldn't be a problem, but those sights... You'll probably want some decent sights pronto, but a quick cheap test is to blacken the dot out with a marker and see if that helps with your focus.

Btw, what to focus on and when is a very long path...  There is no one answer for all conditions and situations.

Have the same suggestion as Shred. Blacken the front sight with a marker. See if that helps. And practice this stuff in dry fire daily if you're not already doing so. Just throw some 3x5 flash cards on a wall and practice transitions, getting an acceptable sight picture. You can also use 8" paper plates to simulate steel plates if you have more room.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice. I'll put a small piece of black tape to cover the front dot.  I'm currently looking at dawson precision fiber optic front and rear sights when I do buy new sights.
I've tried all the competition sights from the major brands. I like Dawson's the best. Specifically their rear blackout sight. It has the lowest profile but still has a nice wide/deep notch. Pair it with a .100" wide front sight. Makes a really nice setup to get a fast sight picture.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk