Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LEE Factory Crimp Die 38spl, 357, 357 Max question

Lower40

Dug out my Lee Loadmaster and have a question about the Lee Factory Crimp Die assembly.  Does the "floating crimper insert" look correct for this specific die and is it facing in the correct position?  (Hope I didn't mix it up with the shorter 9mm insert I have)

LEEdie.JPG

Edited by Lower40

The sleeve is definitely different from mine that was purchased in 2008 and is the only FCD I have. The only time I use the FCD is with .357" jacketed bullets. Oversize cast or plated bullets at .358"/.359" can get swaged down to .357". And my Lyman seat/crimp die came with 3 seating stems that offer good flexibility for different bullets shapes.😉

Thanks K-Texas...I sent the pic to Lee and they got back to me...it's a 9mm float die. Years ago I loaded 38 Colt short brass with the 38/357 dies and used that 9mm float die to crimp the 38 Colt short rounds. Found the proper 38/357 float die in the 9mm box.  (been over 20 years since I last reloaded) Attached a pic of the correct setup.

Lee38.JPG

On 2/18/2020 at 2:41 PM, Lower40 said:

Thanks K-Texas...I sent the pic to Lee and they got back to me...it's a 9mm float die. Years ago I loaded 38 Colt short brass with the 38/357 dies and used that 9mm float die to crimp the 38 Colt short rounds. Found the proper 38/357 float die in the 9mm box.  (been over 20 years since I last reloaded) Attached a pic of the correct setup.

Lee38.JPG

The above is the same exact .38/.357 FCD that I have.😉

• 1 year later...

Your first pic is the floating expander die. For the crimp die it should be a straight sleeve (like the second pic) with one end tapered inside. The taper goes down in the die so the case mouth can go inside and crimp the case. 
Ahhh crap this is over a year old. 🙃

Edited by Farmer
Blind