Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger loading issues

Lowsc3

Hello everyone! 

I bought my m3k freedom a couple months back and have had a hard time loading. I figured once I opened her up more it would solve the issue. I had the loading port opened and got the TTI lifter and it does help, however I feel like at time the front edge lip of the shells will catch on the receiver like the lifter is going to far low or its just not well channeled/tapered. 

I also noticed it takes a bit of effort to get the shells in, I feel like the shell catch is a bit stiff and rough? 

I'm going to be ordering a low drag follower soon to try out to at least alleviate the effort going in. Any hints or tips helps! 

Regarding the first issue with the lip of the shell getting hung up, it's kind of hard to tell if it's "file down more" issue or a "practice more" issue without actually looking at it.

On the other hand, I have run into issues with excessive resistance in the last little bit of motion into the tube. The shell catch is basically an articulating tab at the end of the larger bolt carrier latch, and is connected to the bolt release button. At one point, I installed an enlarged bolt release button with a small rubber o-ring to keep it in place, and it turned out that this would interfere with the pivoting of the carrier latch and would keep the shell catch from moving freely. I could still get shells into the tube, but it was MUCH more difficult than usual. Removing that o-ring fixed the issue - you might want to make sure that the whole assembly is moving freely (i.e., that you can push the big carrier latch arm all the way into the groove in the receiver; and once the whole carrier latch is at the end of its range of travel, that the shell catch pivots freely as well).

MOA Precision sells a tuned and polished version of the shell catch (or "carrier latch extractor", as the owner's manual calls it) that might help; I've used them, and while I didn't find that they caused a dramatic improvement, the fit and finish on your particular gun might be a little rougher, and you might notice a bigger difference. The low-drag follower will also help some, but I wouldn't expect dramatic results from that, either.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2020 at 9:22 PM, Steve133 said:

Regarding the first issue with the lip of the shell getting hung up, it's kind of hard to tell if it's "file down more" issue or a "practice more" issue without actually looking at it.

On the other hand, I have run into issues with excessive resistance in the last little bit of motion into the tube. The shell catch is basically an articulating tab at the end of the larger bolt carrier latch, and is connected to the bolt release button. At one point, I installed an enlarged bolt release button with a small rubber o-ring to keep it in place, and it turned out that this would interfere with the pivoting of the carrier latch and would keep the shell catch from moving freely. I could still get shells into the tube, but it was MUCH more difficult than usual. Removing that o-ring fixed the issue - you might want to make sure that the whole assembly is moving freely (i.e., that you can push the big carrier latch arm all the way into the groove in the receiver; and once the whole carrier latch is at the end of its range of travel, that the shell catch pivots freely as well).

MOA Precision sells a tuned and polished version of the shell catch (or "carrier latch extractor", as the owner's manual calls it) that might help; I've used them, and while I didn't find that they caused a dramatic improvement, the fit and finish on your particular gun might be a little rougher, and you might notice a bigger difference. The low-drag follower will also help some, but I wouldn't expect dramatic results from that, either.

Yea i checked today and its out of stock as far as the polished shell catch. I was able to bent just the tip of the TTI lifter gate and it made a WORLD of difference, i was able to quad load, so now i can practice. Unfortunately while shooting a match Sunday, my bolt release tab screw came loose and has been lost. I salvaged the tab, I called stoeger and while they are willing to send a new one they are on back order. Anyone  know the thread and pitch of this bolt? I can't find that info anywhere and the only place Ive seen sells it by itself is midwest and with shipping and all its roughly 15 bucks mostly shipping. If i can go somewhere local and pick one up for a a buck or two id prefer it.