Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfo and Polygonal barrels?

Steve-O

Just curious about Tanfoglio claiming the polygonal barrel is more accurate etc. Is there any truth to this and if so why don’t more manufacturers besides Glock go this route? 

Edited by Steve-O

I'd say the accuracy is the same yet polygonal barrel POI is more consistent across different kind of reloaded and factory ammo to the point I make no sights adjustment to accommodate them at all. I have Stock III with two barrels of both types of rifling.

I believe making polygonal barrels requires big expensive machines.

Doesn't everyone claim their barrels are more accurate? I wouldn't worry about it that much. Even shooting a sport like USPSA the mechanical accuracy of your gun is going to be extremely low on the list of reasons why somebody shot a  Delta-Mike-No shoot on a stage.   

People have been shooting nicely fit 1911's in bullseye competitions for many decades now, but you don't see all the 1911 shops using polygonal rifling. I'd imagine the final fitting of the gun and design of the barrel lockup plays a much more significant role in accuracy than the type of grooves that make the bullet spin.