Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 Pc Conversion

anachronism

I am really smitten by the 627 PC. Well, mostly. I strenuously object to the current generation of Performance Center barrels, I find them all to be, well, ugly. As much as I hate the looks of the barrels, I'm attracted to the idea of an 8 shot .357, and since I'm sure S&W won't make one with a plain barrel, just for lil ol' me, I may end up having to have one built, just for me. Oh, yeah, I also greatly object to the $800.00+ price tag, it's way out of line for my needs. So, now I finally get to the real question, is anyone doing 8 shot conversions to 27s/627s? Blued or stainless, it doesn't really matter to me, but if it's a full custom proposition, I'll probably have one built on a Ruger, just to thumb my nose at S&W. A Super Redhawk would fit the fill nicely. I'll only do this if there's no real way of building my own 8-shot 627. Any ideas?

Bob

Bob, you might want to check with DougC here on the forum....he took the opposite approach and simply screwed a 27 barrel onto his 627. (He chose the long-tom 8-3/8" tube, but it could have been any of them.) Doug is an accuracy fanatic these days, and if it didn't shoot well, he wouldn't have kept it on there.

Pretty easy deal, fairly cheap answer (once you own the gun, that is). If the finish doesn't match, a quick trip to the hard-chromer would fix that simply enough.

Based on the cost of the old Baumannize 7-shot and RPM 8-shot conversions (neither of which is being offered any more, to my knowledge), Doug's approach would be the cheaper route. You can imagine that machining a custom cylinder is not an inexpensive proposition.

Good luck,

Mike

Bob, you can build an eight shot from a regular N frame. But you need to find a cylinder. Most of the time you would have to raise the bore of the barrel to match the bore of the cylinder. The cylinder chamber sometimes (if not all the time) are set out further on the cylinder radius. I knew a couple of guys that built them but I don't know if they still are since the advent of store bought eight shots available. Randy would be the one to talk to for one. Later rdd

Bob,

S&W made a limited production run of an 8 shot model 27-7 a few years back.

I've been told that 100 were made w/ a 6.5" and 100 with a 4" barrel.

I was lucky enough to find a 6.5" one on GunBroker a couple months back.

Here's a link to one that sold on GunsAmerica last week http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976637340.htm

Paul