Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Edge In 9mm

jrttac

Hey to all from Vienna, Austria! Newbie here so be patient with me. At the gun store this morning I was able to handle a STI Edge in 9mm. Loved the fit of things - reminds me of a SIG P210 - but pulling the slide all the way to the back and releasing it still assisted slowly forward would make it stop on the disconnector. After releasing my hold on the slide and shaking the frame would make it close again to battery. All these done only twice on an empty gun without the magazine. (No hammer follow occurred!) Since I´m not fortunate enough to have well known gunsmiths specializing in 2011s to whom I can trust to work their genius like you guys in the U.S. I will be relying on your experiences and untiring help. So before I plunged down hard-earned cash come Monday here are my questions:

1. Will this new in box STI Edge in 9mm be reliable?

2. Things I should check or do to ensure reliability short of firing the pistol?

3. How accurate are the STI Edge in 9mm Parabellum?

4. Do they really only come with one magazine?

5. Which mags(brand and length) should I order for total reliability?

6. Should I rather get a SIG Sauer P226 ST 9mm instead?

Thanks for your time!

James

Edited by jrttac

I can't address all youir questions, for I have not worked with a 9mm Edge. However, when I was taught to fit barrels, it was as you describe. Have it so that it would stop just short of closing when lowered slowly, but would completely close from there with a shake. Firing would then finish fitting. Guns I have experienced fit this way were reliable.

My experience with an Edge in 40 has been very good. It has been most reliable since the beginning.

I don't think you will be sorry if you get the Edge.

Guy

use the SVI mag tubes, they seem to work better than STI.

with good ammo, the gun will likely be more accurate than the shooter, still accurate enough for bullseye shooting.

with Elcheapo 9mm ball type or surplus ammo,(unless its really good surplus) accuracy is just going to be average.

a friend has a edge in 9mm..i think its too heavy for a 9mm...then again i think a full dustcover gun is too heavy regardless of caliber.

And yes they really only come with one magazine!

shooting one with winchester factory loaded 9mms felt sluggish...slow motion.

is this going to be a IPSC gun?

Harmon.

Thanks for all the swift response – and with that I will be the first customer to greet the gunstore tomorrow! I was looking for the ultimate mate to my Les Baer Concept II .45(which I try hard to convince myself that it is a keeper because it has never malfunction. Wear and tear yes but never jammed.) since by law I´m allowed only to have two firearms/paramilitary rifles/submachine guns and the hassle to request for more I´d rather pass. I have narrowed down my choice to either the SIG P210-6S or the SIG Sauer P226 ST(SL here in europe) both in 9mm. I was tempted also by the civilian versions of the MP-5 9mm, AUG .223 and the M4 .223! But for a long gun I feel adequate enough with my Jeff Cooper Package Steyr Scout .308 which does not occupy a space in my license since it is a bolt action rifle and not semi-auto. The only P210-6S NIB sample that I was considering hasn´t a perfect trigger pull characteristic like you would expect from a SIG – between the trigger take up and the trigger let off is also an almost imperceptible `third stage´ or creep. Although I believe creep is the one that is in the engagement surfaces of the hammer and the sear this `third stage´ as I perceive it is more a part of the trigger slack.

If memory serves me right I have owned and sold fourteen different firearms in the past. I want to settle down and with the world´s help I am getting very close – good thing for the www! Honored to be part of it.

James

since by law I´m allowed only to have two firearms/paramilitary rifles/submachine guns and the hassle to request for more I´d rather pass. I have narrowed down my choice to either the SIG P210-6S or the SIG Sauer P226 ST(SL here in europe) both in 9mm.

James

You might consider the SIG 226R in .40SW. You can buy a 9mm "conversion" barrel from Firedragon or Barsto and you will have both a 9mm and .40 gun with only a barrel change.

I have one and it shoots pretty well.