Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm thinking about climbing Mt. Rainier not this year but the year after. Has anyone done it? Any advice?

I know BE had a climbing buddy for the longest time - any info would be appreciated.

JB

Jack,

I haven't done Rainier yet, but have climbed several of the other volcanoes in the area.  

You have three choices:  1) Go it alone (bad choice) 2) Get a guide (big $$), or 3) Find a climbing club to go along with.  Locally in the Portland area, the club to go with is the Mazamas.  My choice would be to hitch up with the Mazamas.  I'll try to find some phone #'s for you when I get back into town next week.  Check out:

http://www.mazamas.org/info/general_info.php

Hopefully I shouldn't have to tell you this, but don't pick your guide and/or climbing partners lightly.  Rainier isn't K2, that's for sure, but it is a VERY active mountain - don't F***around.    Also, do be prepared to do the necessary snow/ice/rescue training *prior* to the climb.  "Mountaineering, The Freedom of the Hills" and "The ABC's of Avalanche Safety" are MUST reading before heading up any large mountain.  

Spending some time on a less intense hill like Mt. Hood or Mt. Adams would be a good thing if you're serious.  It will give you a chance to hone some basic skills before you do the big one.  If you want, head out my way this year and we can cruise up one of them.  

Let me know off forum if you're really serious.  Maybe we could head up together as a group.  I have several friends who would probably be stoked to go up Rainier.  We'd just need to find a competent guide.  REI is a good source of information as well as The Mountaineers, both based out of Seattle, WA.

Regards,

Eric

(Edited by EricW at 9:11 am on Feb. 14, 2002)

Haven't done Ranier myself, but lots of my friends have, andit is a serious mountain.

Just philosophy-wise, I have some issues with Ranier Mountaineering, who is the main concessionaire on the mountain. Try contacting my pal Nancy Prichard in Oregon (your basic climbing goddess, former editor of ROCK & ICE and married to your basic climbing god. e-mail NLPrichard@aol.com). She's pregnant with twins and big time bored. Tell her I sent you.

Michael B

• 2 weeks later...

Wheew!! I don't know the height of that bad mamma-jamma but flying outta Sea-Tac last week and hearing the pilot give the go-ahead to serve drinks because we had just "passed 10k", I looked out the starboard side of the A/C and stood (well, sat) in awed of that "in-active" volcano we call Mt.Rainier.  I'm sure we were at least level with the peak, or had a few thousand feet to go.  That is one tall mountain.

I climbed Mt. Fuji (Japan) in '93.  That was fun, they used red-hot brands to burn your "stick" as you reached specified levels on during the accent.  You talk about a spiritual experience,....to be up there ABOVE the clouds, standing on loose volcanic rock....lachetta!

TDean,

Rainier's summit is about 14,000 feet.

One of the biggest myths out there is that the NW Volcanoes are "inactive."  Bullllllshit!!  Those babies are alive I tell you.  I nearly puked my guts out from inhaling sulfur fumes when going up Hood.  

A great trip for anyone in the area is to head up Rainier in the Paradise Glacier area (southern exposure).  Go in the fall when all the tourists are gone.  The mountain is wheelchair accessible to 7000 feet, beyond that you're on snow.  An afternoon of hiking, watching, and listening to avalanches and rockfall will give you a new appreciation for how active these mountains really are.  

A spectatular and worthwhile trip.

E

(Edited by EricW at 6:22 pm on Feb. 24, 2002)

Eric,

when I was stationed out at Ft. Lewis.  I could walk out on my front poorch and get a birds eye view.  Always wanted to climb it, but had to settle for the Olympic's instead.  I still have some awesome pictures from back in the day...I'll never forget the day the mountain blew, we were called in to assist in rescue operations.  Man, the soot and ash were so thick we had to put panty hose on the air cleaners and still lost a bunch of engines.   Seems like just yesterday..what a mess....!!

Ahhhh, I remember May 18, 1980 so well.  I heard what I thought was a double sonic boom that morning - not uncommon in those days as supersonic flight was still permitted over the continental US.  So, there I was, out in the front yard, mowing the lawn, when a couple of guys in a hot air balloon fly over and ask if they could land (we had a big yard).  After they got the balloon down and started to deflate it, I found out that the "sonic booms" shook their balloon so hard they thought they had a structural failure and about pissed their pants finding a landing spot.  

I had no idea what actually happened until about 2:30 pm when I saw the horizon turn black.  Thank God we were in the SE corner of the state and missed most all of the ash.

St. Helens is still a bitchin' climb even with 3000 feet gone.  Highly recommended if anyone's in the area.  

E

• 2 weeks later...