Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

200 Gr. Plated In My STI Edge

pbcaster45

After trying 200 gr. plated bullets in my STI Edge 40 S&W I started having problems with the slide locking back (with ammo still in the magazines).  I thought maybe the bullets were hitting the slide stop and pushing it up so I tried seating them deeper (1.160 vs 1.180).  That had no effect so I started marking any magazine that had a jam and setting them aside.  When I measured the feeding lips on the magazines they were all in the right range so I was getting stumped!

I noticed that all the jams had cartridges partially extending from the magazine (about half way along the feed lips) but in front of the extractor.  I started to suspect maybe seating from 1.160 - 1.180 was allowing the ammo to bounce around slightly in the magazines and jump the feed lips so I tried seating the bullets out.  I seated the X-Treme 200 out to 1.190 and the Rainier 200 to 1.200 and it worked!  I like the recoil impulse of the 200 gr. bullets but the 180s are pretty close - so I don't know if I'll stick with the heavier bullets.   I got a good deal on the Rainiers (they went out of business and were on sale) but the X-Tremes are kind of pricey!

Except for the weird odor, coated bullets are still the best bargain.

I'll probably have to adjust the powder charge (maybe) but the chronograph will let me know.  Here's what I was getting at the shorter OAL.

Bullet:   X-Treme 200 gr. RNFP Plated
Powder:  Hodgdon Titegroup 4.0 grs.
Primer:  Winchester Small Pistol
Case:  Remington
LOAL:  1.180
Avg. Vel.:  839.21 fps  
ES:  35.24
SD:  11.61
PF:  167
Recoil Spring:  Tool-less guide rod, 14 lb. Recoil Spring & Aluma Buffer Pad

Bullet:   X-Treme 200 gr. RNFP Plated
Powder:  Hodgdon Titegroup 4.3 grs.
Case:  Winchester
Avg. Vel.:  889.67 fps  
ES:  38.07
SD:  12.40
PF:  178
Recoil Spring:  Tool-less guide rod, 14 lb. Recoil Spring & Aluma Buffer Pad

IMG_1360 - Copy.JPG

After trying 200 gr. plated bullets in my STI Edge 40 S&W I started having problems with the slide locking back (with ammo still in the magazines).  I thought maybe the bullets were hitting the slide stop and pushing it up so I tried seating them deeper (1.160 vs 1.180).  That had no effect so I started marking any magazine that had a jam and setting them aside.  When I measured the feeding lips on the magazines they were all in the right range so I was getting stumped!   I noticed that all the jams had cartridges partially extending from the magazine (about half way along the feed lips) but in front of the extractor.  I started to suspect maybe seating from 1.160 - 1.180 was allowing the ammo to bounce around slightly in the magazines and jump the feed lips so I tried seating the bullets out.  I seated the X-Treme 200 out to 1.190 and the Rainier 200 to 1.200 and it worked!  I like the recoil impulse of the 200 gr. bullets but the 180s are pretty close - so I don't know if I'll stick with the heavier bullets.   I got a good deal on the Rainiers (they went out of business and were on sale) but the X-Tremes are kind of pricey!   Except for the weird odor, coated bullets are still the best bargain.   I'll probably have to adjust the powder charge (maybe) but the chronograph will let me know.  Here's what I was getting at the shorter OAL.   Bullet:   X-Treme 200 gr. RNFP Plated
Powder:  Hodgdon Titegroup 4.0 grs.
Case:  Remington
Avg. Vel.:  839.21 fps  
ES:  35.24
SD:  11.61
PF:  167
Recoil Spring:  Tool-less guide rod, 14 lb. Recoil Spring & Aluma Buffer Pad   Bullet:   X-Treme 200 gr. RNFP Plated
Powder:  Hodgdon Titegroup 4.3 grs.
Case:  Winchester
Avg. Vel.:  889.67 fps  
ES:  38.07
SD:  12.40
PF:  178
Recoil Spring:  Tool-less guide rod, 14 lb. Recoil Spring & Aluma Buffer Pad2115201651_IMG_1360-Copy.thumb.JPG.3fbfac0ea16dd139874c305f6056b203.JPG
I load from 1.200 up to 1.230. titegroup is very fast so going longer still wouldn't drop your power factor significantly

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk