Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super 1050 running like a Champ

So, Lee Neel came over a couple weeks ago to make sure I had the 1050 set up properly because was having some primer issues and had never really loading on a 1050 before. 

The primer block/slide was already slick enough, so we just added the brass tipped 650 primer tube and ditched the ratchet system.   He also installed the swager for me.  The Lee micro adjustable bullet seater was a PITA as it requires the bullet to be nearly perfectly straight, so I swapped it out with a Dillon seating die. 

It really is amazing how much faster/easier it is to load on a 1050 vs. 650.  If you only load one caliber and you are thinking about making the switch, do it.  

So here is a question for you guys.  Lee advised I should get an expander die to run over the swager.  I've read up on them, and it seems my powder die is taking care of the belling for me.  Do any of you run an expander die?  If it matters, I plan on getting a bullet feeder as my  Christmas/birthday gift in a couple months.

Trace, glad to hear it's running well.  And I agree, once you get it set up correctly the 1050 cranks out consistent ammo with ease.

YMMV, but mine has been running great without an expander die.  I have the Mr Bullet feeder and the powder funnel/expander thing that comes with it is a lot less harsh on brass than the Dillon powder funnel.  The MBF one if installed correctly will barely widen the case mouth whereas the Dillon one has noticeably more resistance while operating the handle.

24 minutes ago, V2plus25 said:

Trace, glad to hear it's running well.  And I agree, once you get it set up correctly the 1050 cranks out consistent ammo with ease.

YMMV, but mine has been running great without an expander die.  I have the Mr Bullet feeder and the powder funnel/expander thing that comes with it is a lot less harsh on brass than the Dillon powder funnel.  The MBF one if installed correctly will barely widen the case mouth whereas the Dillon one has noticeably more resistance while operating the handle.

Josh, mind posting a couple of pics of your setup?