Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Temperature Sensivity Of Wst, N-320, And Titegroup

8ring

Greetings:

There was a nip in the air this morning in Denver and it will be time to start loading for Fall and Winter matches. I use WST with 200gr. lead and Precision round nose flat point.

I've heard that WST loses velocity at high temperatures. Any suggestions for these propellants at cooler and cold temperatures?

Greetings:

There was a nip in the air this morning in Denver and it will be time to start loading for Fall and Winter matches.  I use WST with 200gr. lead and Precision round nose flat point. 

I've heard that WST loses velocity at high temperatures.  Any suggestions for these propellants at cooler and cold temperatures?

Well I had an opposite experience with WST. When it was hot I got slow reading , barely making major. 175.01 , 95 degrees on Long Island. Then in Barry at 40 degrees it was like 185 pf, in the days of 175 pf. Now 320 is really consistent whatever the temp, probalby the most consistent and why most that travel around the country in different conditions use Viht powders.

I've never understood the chemistry behind the inverse temperature relationship some powders seem to show, but... there you have it. I had the same experience w/ 540 loading for 9x21 a long time ago. VV powders seem to very slightly follow the temperature - as the temp gets hotter, the load does, too, but not in an extreme fashion.

Just my experience...

Thanks for the information. I'll try some n-320 for the cooler months.

Interesting behavior of Winchester ball powders. I know that W-231 loses velocity at cooler temperatures but WST may gain velocity. Perhaps some of the chemists among us could explain this.

:unsure: