Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Xl650 Trouble

Guys/Gals,

If your into reloading you know the names; Dillon, RCBS, MEC, etc... While there are a lot of choices for equipment out there, I have come to believe that you get what you pay for!

A while ago, I was filling out my wish list for Christmas gifts from my wife. Needless to say, a Dillon XL650 with all the bells and whistles was at the top of my list. Not believing that she would actually come through with "the wish list", Christmas morning I found boxes of blue laden equipment inside...Low and behold she came through to my surprise.

After the initial set-up and mounting to my otherwise barren reloading bench, I started with the process of learning how to use my new Dillon XL650... The learning curve was short, and the products produced were of the utmost precision and quality, if I don't say so myself.

After several hundred rounds pumped through this beautiful blue machine, I encountered a problem...

Here's what transpired:

A cut and paste of my e-mail to Dillon.

Sir/s,

I have a Dillon XL650 with all the bells and whistles. While I love the machine, and am completely satisfied with its ease of use, I have encountered a problem while reloading 9mm and .40 S&W. I noticed that the Part #20062 and #13644 are galling causing a leaky powder bar, which is really messy and causes powder to spill all over the shell plate during use.

It also appears that the Part # 22273 may also be galled internally where the bars slide on the internal surfaces.

Also and most importantly, Part # 97082 (item #1 in the Illustrated Parts Breakdown on page 54, (case insert slide and cam, the piece that contacts the case feed body assembly)) has cracked at the heli-coil where bolt 9 and washer 5 make the union. The malfunction causes the cases to feed incorrectly and not allow cases to seat into the station 1 locator and shell plate properly.

How do I place these on order for replacement, or are they under a factory warranty?

The XL650 was purchased as a gift to me this past Christmas by my wife.

Please advise as how to proceed with this matter.

If it is under warranty, should I ship the bad parts back to you for an Engineering Investigation (E.I.) prior to you making a determination?

My thoughts of what would happen:

In reality, and in my previous experience dealing with other manufacturers of firearms and reloading equipment, I figured it would cost a few bucks to replace the parts that were damaged. I was fully prepared to pay the cost of the parts and any shipping that was incurred. But I needed direction as how to proceed in the process I felt would surely put me hard down for quite awhile. To my total amazement, I received an email this morning and it read:

No charge part(s) on the way!

At Your Service,

Gary Kieft

Sales Manager

Extension 311

Dillon Precision Products, Inc.

Whoa! I was amazed... Talk about a no sh*t, no BS warranty! No hassle, no problems, no parts to return, just quick, fast, and courteous service!

IMHO, with Dillon, you definitely get what you pay for! If you are in the market for a reloading machine, I strongly would encourage anyone, from the beginner to the most experienced to consider a Dillon for their next purchase. Remember, you definitely get what you pay for...

I have had my 550 for 12 years and anytime I have a problem Dillon always comes through. But in the course of that 12 years I have talked quite a few new shooters/reloaders into buying Dillon products. When asked about reloading I always tell people that there is only one press to consider and thats Dillon.

I also have a 650. Love it. But just for a contrasting story and to prove that the Dillon guys are human;

My 650 came without the ejection wire. I called in, was told "its on the way". 2 weeks, nothing.

Called again, "It's on the way". 2 weeks; nothing.

Called again (Over a month of down time on a new machine if I hadn't bent a wire on my own). "I'll federal express one." Arrived the next day.

Sent an email thanking them, and asking what happened to the first 2. Received a unsigned smart 4ss reply that my "mailman must like shiny objects."

2 months later (3 months from asking) - received 2 packages, torn, repaired, with a spring wire protruding through a package that was obviously not correct for the spring. Because of that, it had to be manually handled each step of the way. Had it been packed correctly, they would have arrived in good time.

So, the guys are great, the have great service (intentions), but they can occasionally do some dumb things. But I love them anyhow :angry: