Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If you lose your pistol abroad ?

My question is about the control you are submitted to when you own a gun in the US.

Do you have to periodically renew some kind of paperworks ? (in France, our authorisation to own a gun is 3-year valid).

Do you have to periodically prove you still have the gun ?

When traveling back home from abroad (where you went for an IPSC competition), does anybody (customs, airline,...) check that you brought your blaster back ?

Just wondering ...

Actually the answer to the first question is 'maybe'.  Feds don't require any licensing other than the initial background check paperwork when you first purchase the gun from a dealer.  They are trying to 'close the gunshow loophole' though.  That would require every sale to go thru the background check.  As of now there is no Fed law preventing the private sale (no paperwork whatsoever) from one person to another, unless a State law covers it.

However there are several states, Illinois for one, that requires a FOID, firearm owners indentification card.  These usually have expiration dates and are sometimes required for the purchase of ammo also.

The second question I'm not sure of.  Not sure if the NYC 'Sullivan' law requires this or not.  I do know that the 'permit' isn't transferable and IIRC the were going door to door confiscating them, especially when the owner died.  This was happening just a year or so ago.  

I don't know the answer to your last question.  I've only been 'abroad' courtesy of the USArmy.  When I was armed it was a chartered flight if commercial.  Or a 'grand' C130 if not.

The Founding Fathers actually saw States as sovereign w/little interference from the Feds.  That lasted until around 1860.  Now the Feds threaten to cut-off 'funds', ie taxes they 'give' back after robbing you at gunpoint, if the States don't comply with their demands.  For instance the National Highway Safety Commission or the Environmental Protection Agency.  I'm sure someone is looking into the 'gun' problem.

HTH,

Joe