Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another Recoil Master Question

galt11

I am considering getting a recoil master for my Kimber 1911. After speaking to some people, I was told I might have to drill out or enlarge the hole in the bushing where the guide rod plug goes. has anyone had to do this. I am just concerned that if I ever wanted to go back to a normal guide rod setup, I would need to replace the bushing. Thanks for the help.

Adam

I haven't had to do that, but if you did, you could just use the RM bushing if you switched back.

The recoil master doesn't come with it's own bushing, you use the one currently on your gun. It does come with a new guide rod plug. The bushing, as I was told may have to be cut to accomidate the new plug. I am afraid if the bushing is cut and I go back to the original guide rod the lockup won't be the same. I even thought about using the plug from the recoil master but there is no guarantee it willl be the same size, fit, etc. That was my concern because not everyone who tries the rms like the feel.

Adam

Get the recoilmaster for a bushing barrel. It comes with a guide rod plug for a bushing and should work without modification.

Here: http://www.1911store.com/index.asp?PageAct...PROD&ProdID=115

choose heavy/bushing for your Kimber

Thanks for the info. I was hopeing for a reply from a gunsmith who has worked with these before.

Adam

Edited by galt11

The plug that comes with the Recoilmaster (bushing version) is the same outside dimension as a stock plug, and the same dimension as a stock plug on the outside of the small shoulder that extends to hold the bushing in place. The hole in the plug is a little bigger because the recoilmaster is a little larger in diameter than most guide rods. You should not have to modify the bushing for it to fit, but you do want to use the plug that comes with the Recoilmaster rather than the stock plug. You could get binding of the Recoilmaster in the plug otherwise.