Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sights Size And Shape

benos

Brian,

Have you ever played around with a front sight that was stepped or pyramid shaped? I've shot one setup where the front sight narrowed midway up - it was wide (almost as wide as the rear notch) at the bottom, and then was cut on both sides so that it stepped to a narrow size at the top. It was real easy to shoot and line up. I've also considered that a front sight that was, say, .120" at the bottom, and .080" at the top might be interesting.

I've experimented with those types of sights and many, many, many others, more than you might be able to imagine. To sum up: they all look really cool "when you're just looking at them," or, when you're shooting fairly quickly and it "seems" like accuracy isn't that important. But then you have that miss over the shoulder of a 15 yard target - and your match is done. I came back to big, square, bold, FLAT black sights, every time. If I were to set up sights today, I'd have approximately a .115-.120 front, a .125-.135 rear, and the front would have a fiber optic in it that would be sight-blacked over most all the time. Unless the lighting was horrible, then I'd wipe off the sight black.

be

Right now I'm really liking the sights on my CZ-75b. They're the stock sights, except I blacked out the stupid whitish dots with a sharpie marker, and I widened and deepened the rear notch with a 1911 rail file from Brownells.

There's plenty of light on either side of the front sight, and I can acquire the front sight quickly because of that. The front sight is about 0.121" wide, and the rear notch is 0.160" wide, and 0.140" deep, or so.

I like the fiber optic on my limited gun, but I'd always use the small (0.040") fiber, and make a very small dot--I still want to be able to see the top of the front sight when I need to make a tight shot.

DogmaDog