Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replacement Rear sight for Q5 match

threat

Does anyone make a replacement rear sight for the Walther Q5 match.  The OEM  sight leaves much to be desired for as far as sight picture and notch depth goes. I'd really like a Dawson rear for it however for some god forsaken reason the Q5 match does not use a PPQ dovetail cut.

Taken from the owners manual "The dovetail cut for the rear sight is a 12mm x 2mm x 70° LPA cut. The height of the front sight is 0.21” (5.3 mm)." is this dovetail cut similar to any other common rear sight that I can possibly modify? 

You can slowly and carefully file the rear notch quite a bit deeper. I took the “step” off the bottom so it’s the depth of the screw head all the way through. It worked great and your sight picture very much resembles a Dawson rear’s now.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

4 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You can slowly and carefully file the rear notch quite a bit deeper. I took the “step” off the bottom so it’s the depth of the screw head all the way through. It worked great and your sight picture very much resembles a Dawson rear’s now.

That's my backup  plan in case I can't find one. I was trying to avoid having to put work into the gun and solve the problem with a CC purchase. However alas this is going to require some fiddling. 

23 minutes ago, threat said:

That's my backup  plan in case I can't find one. I was trying to avoid having to put work into the gun and solve the problem with a CC purchase. However alas this is going to require some fiddling. 

It goes pretty quickly, and the sight picture is fantastic afterward.

Run a tall Dawson .190 to .210 ish front blade, or you’ll have a good bit of the slide in the sight picture.

27 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

It goes pretty quickly, and the sight picture is fantastic afterward.

Run a tall Dawson .190 to .210 ish front blade, or you’ll have a good bit of the slide in the sight picture.

Yeah I just ordered a .195" tall front blade x .100" wide to get that crisp front sight that I'm used to on my other guns.

Is there a Walther Rep that frequents here that can give me some insight into the rear sight situation and what their plans where by doing this?

Nope.

No idea why they chose (or had made?) that particular LPA instead of using the model off, say, the Tanfoglio Stock 2/3. That’s also an LPA and has an awesome blade on it.

Since they were already going with custom cuts into an adapater plate they could have used that, or a 1911 Bomar cut or something.

13 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Nope.

No idea why they chose (or had made?) that particular LPA instead of using the model off, say, the Tanfoglio Stock 2/3. That’s also an LPA and has an awesome blade on it.

Since they were already going with custom cuts into an adapater plate they could have used that, or a 1911 Bomar cut or something.

Glock, Bomar, anything. I'm really curious as to why they went this route. 

Then again there aren't OEM style recoil springs for this gun yet so...