Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer doesn't drop in single action on Shadow 2 and thumb safety doesn't work in another

YVK

I tried to search but fell short. I've a a hunch that our local CZ gurus will know the answers before I found it myself in 2 days.

I've just assembled a brand new Shadow 2 after a detailed strip. I have a competition hammer / short reset disconnector / hammer strut that were fit by CZC custom (their parts) to another gun. I attempted to drop those parts in, and I also changed a trigger to an 85C. 

I think I put everything together correctly. The OT screw is removed from the trigger. In dry fire double action mode trigger moves hammer back and drops it seemingly correctly. If I rack the slide and cock the hammer, I can't drop it, neither manually nor by pulling the trigger. 

Subsequently, I have just put together my second Shadow 2. The difference from the first one is that I have a drop-in short reset disconnector. The second gun functions normally in dry fire, both DA and SA. However, the thumb safety doesn't work normally. The only position where I can move it up is hammer half cock. Fully cocked, no go.

So, gun # 1 doesn't drop hammer in single action.

Gun # 2 safety doesn't engage other than in half cock position.

Oh joys of figuring things out myself.

Help!!!!:)

P.S. After monkeying around with both guns, it appears that #1 doesn't reset in single action, and # 2 needs safety to be fit. So, file on the inside surface of disconnector for the first gun's problem, and on that little nub on safety or sear for the second? 

Edited by YVK

12 hours ago, YVK said:

So, gun # 1 doesn't drop hammer in single action. 

Not an expert, but since you removed the overtravel screw already, I'm guessing disconnector needs fitting.

12 hours ago, YVK said:

Gun # 2 safety doesn't engage other than in half cock position.

Safety or sear needs fitting.  It's recommended that you fit the safety to the sear because it's less expensive to replace if you remove too much material.

Just saw your PS.  I agree with what you're thinking.  I wouldn't file the disco, I would use a very fine grit sandpaper (like 1500-2000), as you do not want to remove a lot of material.  In some cases polishing alone will be enough.  I would suggest the same for the safety.

Reference the sticky as well for where to hone the disco.

Edited by clw42

12 hours ago, clw42 said:

I wouldn't file the disco, I would use a very fine grit sandpaper (like 1500-2000), as you do not want to remove a lot of material..

90 min later, after giving up on removing it manually by file, I had to whip out dreaded D-tool :)  20 min later, after careful trying in and out, everything is running as it is supposed to. Comparing to a standard disconnector, what I had there was massively thick.

The thumb safety was indeed 2 minutes of very light and selective filing.

I am glad the diagnoses were correct, as were the remedies. 

7 hours ago, YVK said:

90 min later, after giving up on removing it manually by file, I had to whip out dreaded D-tool :)  20 min later, after careful trying in and out, everything is running as it is supposed to. Comparing to a standard disconnector, what I had there was massively thick.

That's crazy!  My czc disco only needed barely a polish.  I think I actually used 2500 grit that I fashioned to a dremel polishing swab, in and out a couple of times and it was smooth.