Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Federal Syntech 124 grain too hot?

malobukov

10 hours ago, ajblack said:

Isn't Federal Syntec the 'official' match ammo and therefore excempt from chrono at USPSA majors?  At least this is what I thought the case was at Nationals. That might also explain why they're not too concerned with FPS consistency. I saw an article with the 45 acp syntec offerings where certain loadings weren't making major PF out of a full size 1911 either

Per the rules about official match ammo, No it is not exempt. Still gets chronoed just like all other ammo.

8 hours ago, Sarge said:

Per the rules about official match ammo, No it is not exempt. Still gets chronoed just like all other ammo.

It’s not completely exempt, but they did add some very limited exceptions for official match ammo to the rules (Appendix C3). I think this was a change with the 2019 rules, but I could be mistaken. 

Basically, when you pick up your official match ammo at the match (not sure how this is supposed to work for Syntech if you buy it commercially), you give them 8 sample rounds. When you go through chrono, you do so normally with the ammo you’re shooting, just like anyone who isn’t using official match ammo. Then, if you fail to meet power factor, they test 3 random samples from the 8 you gave them when you picked up your ammo. If your “regular samples” are more than 10 PF below the average of the 3, then your power factor stands and you fail to meet power factor. If, however, your PF and the average of the 3 are within 10 of each other, you are exempt from having to meet power factor as long as you continue to use the official ammo for the match. 

At least, that’s my best “plain English” interpretation of the appendix. 

2 hours ago, DKorn said:

It’s not completely exempt, but they did add some very limited exceptions for official match ammo to the rules (Appendix C3). I think this was a change with the 2019 rules, but I could be mistaken. 

Basically, when you pick up your official match ammo at the match (not sure how this is supposed to work for Syntech if you buy it commercially), you give them 8 sample rounds. When you go through chrono, you do so normally with the ammo you’re shooting, just like anyone who isn’t using official match ammo. Then, if you fail to meet power factor, they test 3 random samples from the 8 you gave them when you picked up your ammo. If your “regular samples” are more than 10 PF below the average of the 3, then your power factor stands and you fail to meet power factor. If, however, your PF and the average of the 3 are within 10 of each other, you are exempt from having to meet power factor as long as you continue to use the official ammo for the match. 

At least, that’s my best “plain English” interpretation of the appendix. 

More or less. :) My point was match ammo still goes through chrono. Seemed like some may think it's completely waived in regards to chrono.