Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC and waiting for my license

MisterPlink

I live in Canada and I am currently waiting for my firearms license. I cannot buy a pistol until it gets approved which usually takes 2 to 6 months. I’m eager to start IPSC in the spring.

Is there anything I can do to prepare for IPSC while I wait for my license to arrive?
I have a SigSauer P320 Air Pistol (which is the same size/weight as the real one), Ben Stoeger’s DryFire Reloaded book, a timer,1/3 size dryfire targets and a competition belt and holster. 
Do you think I should practice with what I have or do something else? I have heard recently on a bunch of podcasts that you should only practice with the real firearm... but that simply isn’t possible for quite some time.

I’m really keen to get started. 😄

Eager beaver!  We only got our bb to use the action ranges at our club.

usually the course instructor will want you to have shot a minimum of 1000 rounds through your gun first but more is better

right now stick to safety drawing, loading a stripper round, releasing and loading a full mag, engage satety and holstering with finger on the slide ALWAYS ALWAYS 

you can dryfire but you need to make sure it’s done safely so you pass the bb course and don’t get dq’d

not to diminish your purchase but I have only see p320’s for sale on the IPSC Ontario site, not in an actual match.  A CZ75 variant is what the production shooters shoot.  But the p320 will work fine for now.

3 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

not to diminish your purchase but I have only see p320’s for sale on the IPSC Ontario site, not in an actual match.  A CZ75 variant is what the production shooters shoot.  But the p320 will work fine for now.

I am not exactly sure what I will be shooting. I thought of the Sig P320 because it is affordable, accurate and has modular grips. I have small hands and I would get the small grip module if I purchase it.
I am also looking at the CZ Shadow 2, CZ Shadow and CZ P10. With my hand size, I am concerned about the double action trigger reach. But then again, if Maria Gushchina can shoot a Shadow 2, i’m sure I could too. 
The problem with the CZs is that they are much more expensive than  the Sig. Is a basic Sig P320 .. not X5 ..okay to start with? Or am I better off spending the money for a Shadow 2?

I’d go for the shadow 2 or even just a cz75.  Personally I shoot standard so I have an STI in 40sw, but to start out a CZ means not having to upgrade later.  The production guys I know either shoot a s2 or a 75.  My wife shoots a s2 with an optic in production optics.  It’s out for slide milling at the moment (and her backup s2 too).  IPSC can get rather addicting with guns, gear and reloading.