Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Benelli Click" Cause?

ChillyB

I dont have a Benelli but this is the phrase that seems used to describe a bolt not rotating fully into battery on inertia guns in general.

I'm new to the Inertia Drive type (Stoeger M3000) and happy to report that it emptied three boxes of cheap ammo with rapid mag dumps.  But thus "Benelli Click" thing piques my interest.   Does it seem possible that the rough ends of the bolt spring are causing sufficient rotational friction to cause the bolt to not rotate fully?  The ends of the spring are quite rough.  As the action closes the bolt rotates and seats deeper into the carrier.  I suppose at some point the bolt cams deep enough into the carrier that the spring is touching the carrier at the rear and the bolt tail at the front.  Is this how it happens?  Could polishing the cut ends of the bolt spring resolve this issue?

A stronger recoil spring may lessen the probability of malfunction but maybe by brute force instead of resolving the root cause.  

Im entirely new to inertia shotguns so dont hesitate to dismiss this idea, and I welcome discussion that disproves the theory.  If anyone had a "clicker" it would be cool to polish the spring ends to see if the problem goes away. 

Humbly,

Chilly

The inertia spring isn't really in contact with the bolt or carrier when it closes. Take you shotgun and shake it front to back and you will hear the spring rattle back and forth. The only time it comes in contact with the bolt and carrier is upon recoil where the bolt carrier compresses the spring Wich shoves the carrier back causing it to cycle. 

a heavier main spring DOES NOT help this situation. Mainly keeping the cam pin and cam slot well greased and the locking lug recesses well oiled and clean is the cure.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.  

When I slowly lower the bolt it will not fully roll over to fully locked (dropping the handle from just 1/2" causes it to fully lock).   Is that normal?  I know to not walk the handle forward during normal operation.

1 hour ago, ChillyB said:

Ok, thanks for the clarification.  

When I slowly lower the bolt it will not fully roll over to fully locked (dropping the handle from just 1/2" causes it to fully lock).   Is that normal?  I know to not walk the handle forward during normal operation.

Normal....just like easing the slide forward on a 1911 or slowly closing the bolt on an AR will keep those guns from going fully into battery

The gun's action was design to work at a certain speed so turn loose of the bolt and let the springs do their thing.