Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Forum Member from CA

IVC

After lurking for a long time, mostly ending up back on the forum when searching for anything from obscure shooting technique details, to hardware recommendations, I finally created an account so I can track the posts. I figured a quick introductory post would help as a future reference if anyone wanted to look me up. 

I live in Temecula, CA, and have started shooting USPSA at Pala last year in April, so it's just over a year and a half. I made B class last October, seven months after my first match, and have been there ever since. Since I live in a stupid state, I started in L10 minor, quickly switched to L10 major and that's what I still shoot. My primary gun is a Tanfoglio Limited Elite, not so much a matter of choice (I like it a lot though), as it is a matter of availability in CA. Similarly, my backup is a CZ TS in .40 since I cannot get another Tanfoglio. Another courtesy of the stupid state and the "roster of handguns." 

From reading the sitickies, it appears that L10 discussion here is limited (no pun intended), so I'll just write a few observations from someone who shoots it regularly. The hardest pill to swallow is that it's the regulatory environment that forces many choices for us in CA, rather than being a free will choice. With that said, L10 requires the same strategy as Production on regular stages, but is virtually identical to Limited on classifiers (unless you miss a lot of steel), so it's an odd mix. When I look at match scores, I compare myself to the top guys, regardless of division (let alone class), then I look at how I did compared to Limited guys (disadvantage on stage planning and slight disadvantage with reloads) and Production guys (major vs. minor, slight advantage on draw and reloads). The only thing I wish is that the classification system would have Limited/L10 combined since it's the same anyways.

I've shot a few classifiers in Single Stack and Revolver and I've shoot a few matches in Revolver division when both my Limited guns had issues. That was last year. 

Separately, I'm an NRA rifle and pistol instructor, an RSO and NROI RO. My online activity is mostly on our local CA forum, CalGuns, where we deal with all the CA-related legal "goodies."