Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Instructional Video For New Idpa Shooter?

Leozinho

Hi,

I'm new to IDPA and only shot my first match last week. Of course, now I'm hooked and looking to improve.

I've been advised to take a competition pistol class from one of the two gurus (Super Dave Harrington or Dean Brevit) that frequent my area (NC), and I will as soon as possible.

In the mean time, and before I develop too many bad habits training on my own, I thought I might purchase an instructional video.

Matt Burkett's videos seem to be thought of highly here. Should I start with Volume 5 (IDPA techniques), or is that meant to only build on his first 3 volumes?

Or do his first three videos do a better job of teaching the fundamentals necessary, despite not being IDPA-specific? (I can filter out the info on equipment, but what else might I learn from those tapes that would throw me off in IDPA?)

Or are there any other videos that I should consider?

Many thanks.

I found that the volumes 1-3 covered the fundamentals (grip stance trigger control etc.etc.) and the IDPA volume expanded on those as employed under the IDPA flag. I would get vols 1-3 and the IDPA one. There is plenty of information there and none of them are a waste of money. I own all of them and have found something new in them everytime I watch them.

IF your new to competitive shooting all together then I stand by the above wholeheartedly. If your used to competitive shooting and just new to IDPA then the IDPA volume might be enough but I would still reccomend above..

As for instruction here is my take on that.

Instruction should be in small groups. When trying to hone a skill or pick up new ones I find large classes are a waste of time.

Your paying good money so be sure to get as much of the instructors undivided attention as possible (private or semi-private classes).

Look for an instructor that teaches techniques and then encourages you to use them as a basis to develop what works best for you. Instructors that demand you copy thier technique or it ain't gonna work are deluded. All of us are different and ... you et the picture

Use the instructors time wisely. If you have a particular instructor in mind and they have books/videos/ etc out review them first. become familiar with thier style and what they are going to be teaching. This maximises your time in class.

I can reccomend two..

Matt Burkett impressed me enough with a general class I took from him I now take private classes from him for me and my daughter. His teaching style is no nonsense and you will work. He has an uncanny ability to teach at the shooters level. You will also take home enough from your class to keep you busy practicing for months afterwards.

Disclaimer: My only connection to Matt is an extremely satisfied customer.

You also can't go wrong with Dave Sevigny. While I never took a direct class from him I know one good friend who has and have seen Dave interact with folks at matches. Different style of teaching than Matt but just as good in my opinion.

Well I guess that is more than 2 cents worth but you can keep anything beyond that :)

Steven