Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Choosing an optic for my Q5 Match

Marc82Much

I have used a Sig P320 RX with the Sig Romeo 1 optic. Now I want to add an optic to my Walther Q5 Match. The Romeo was fine, but it had a 3 moa and I do not think it was adjustable. Maybe it was, but either way the one I shot was set at 3. My aging eyes would kind of like a little bigger, easier to pick up dot. I like the Auto On/Off function, so I would like to have that in my new one. I only shoot steel plates for fun, USPSA and IPSC on the local (fun match) level. Definitely not expecting to get to GM status any time soon (or even in this life), but I love the challenge and want to get better. I belong to a club where I can go shoot steel (outside) any time I want, and I have the time and the money, so I thought I would get an optic and learn how to shoot that. The Q5 is new to me, so I am thinking that rather than spending lots of time learning the gun with iron sights, I should get my optic soon and learn them both at the same time.

Any suggestions and ideas would be warmly received.

Edited by Marc82Much

I'm a iron shooter 75% of the time so for me it was getting a red dot as low as possible. I went with a jpoint which I love. Shield rms is the aluminum version thats just as good if not better. 6-8 moa is the best for action shooting. the jpoint sits low enough that a can almost cowitness with my stock height front sight. a +.010 front sight would be perfect.

I use a Vortex venom 3 moa on my Q5. It has been completely reliable, I only changed the battery twice just before major matches only because it's a good habit, not that the battery died. Some say the window is small, but i believe window size is irrelevant. Glass size increases with practice.